Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Skillet Gnocchi with Chard and White Beans

Before joining our CSA, I don't think I had ever tasted chard, so I didn't really know what to do with it when I started getting those giant leaves in my basket. I've sauteed it (which is tasty), but this is one of my favorite recipes for it so far. Chard to me is very much like spinach, but it seems to hold up better once cooked. It's pretty bitter raw, but the bitterness disappears when cooked. If you can't find chard, fresh spinach would work here too.

This dish is not quite vegetarian, but can easily be made so by leaving out the bacon. (But who wants to do that???) This takes me about 45 minutes to make, and although it's a little bit of a stretch on a busy weeknight, I can still make it on weeknights when I get home on time. Last time I made it, I doubled the recipe and froze half of it to have on hand as a quick meal. This gnocchi is a perfect warm and filling dish for a cold rainy night.

Skillet Gnocchi with Chard and White BeansAdapted slightly from Eating Well
serves 4
1 16-oz package of shelf-stable gnocchi (can usually be found in the dry pasta section of your grocery store)
4 slices bacon, cut into 1/4-inch matchsticks
1 Tbl olive oil
1 Tbl unsalted butter
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup water
1 bunch chard, stems removed and chopped
1 15-oz can diced tomatoes (or 2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 15-oz can white beans (cannellini, great northern white, etc.), drained and rinsed
1 tsp Kosher salt
Pepper, to taste
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 finely shredded Parmesan cheese

Boil gnocchi in a large pot until puffed up and floating.

Heat the oil and butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and transfer the cooked gnocchi to the skillet. Cook stirring often, until the gnocchi starts to brown. Remove gnocchi from the pan.

Add the bacon to the pan and cook until browned. Remove to a paper towel. Drain all but one tablespoon of the bacon grease. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for about two minutes or until it they start to wilt a little. Add the garlic and water and cover. Cook for about 4-6 minutes until the onions are soft. Add the chard and cook for another 1-2 minutes, covered, until it starts to wilt. Add the tomatoes, beans, oregano, basil, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.  (If using fresh tomatoes, simmer until the tomatoes are no longer raw.)

Stir in the gnocchi and sprinkle with the mozzarella and Parmesan. Cover and cook until the cheese is bubbling.

Serve with bread to mop up the sauce!

Subscribe to free updates from Mindy's Mouthful

Chef E November 16, 2010 at 12:46 PM

One of my fav dishes, but minus a few beans due to some issues LOL, but I love it, and hubby really loves this!

Chef E November 16, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Oh and I like the new design!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction November 16, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Yum! I, too, have discovered a whole new world of greens thanks to our CSA. If I get any more chard, this is what I'll be doing with it!

Julie M. November 18, 2010 at 6:54 AM

I make something similar to this and I can vouch that it is really really yummy! Meat or not, this dish works for me. Thanks for sharing!

My Carolina Kitchen November 18, 2010 at 8:08 AM

I love to use white beans. They are so versatile. Chard seems to be the vegetable of the month as I've seen it everywhere. Looks like if I don't want to be left out, I had better give it a try. This would make a lovely lunch on this foggy day and there's no way I'm leaving out the bacon.
Sam

Chef Fresco November 19, 2010 at 10:39 PM

We made this too! Love Eating Well. And gnocchi!

ghada September 3, 2017 at 2:28 PM