Thursday, September 6, 2012

Thai Coconut Curry Soup

I love Pinterest.  It keeps me organized (in an otherwise very unorganized life) with ideas that I'd like to implement someday.  Many of them will remain that way: someday.  But you know you have to act on a recipe when you've pinned it more than once--that's what happened with this soup.  I saw it a few months ago, made it, and liked it, but thought it needed more depth and more flavor.  I then promptly forgot all about it until a couple of weeks ago when I pinned it...and then realized that it was the same soup!  This time I got it right, though.  My daughter loved it, and although it could have been a tad spicier for me, it was just right for the kiddos.  It's an easy soup and comes together easily.  Make a double batch if you want leftovers because my family finished the whole pot in one sitting!

Thai Coconut Curry Soup
Adapted from Chef Michael Smith
Serves 4-6

2 14-ounce cans coconut milk
1 1/2 tablespoons green curry paste
1/2 tablespoons red curry paste
1/2 serrano chile, minced
1/2-3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 carrot, peeled and shredded
1 tablespoon lemongrass (from the tube--this is the only way I can get it!  If you want to use fresh lemongrass, check out the original recipe for the amount and how to use it.)
2 tablespoons fish sauce
Zest of 3 limes
Juice of 2 limes
2 teaspoons dark brown sugar, packed
1 inch fresh ginger, grated on a microplane or minced finely
1 cup snow peas, sliced into 1/2" pieces
1/2 cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced into 1" pieces
1 1/2 cups bok choi, chopped
3 green onions, sliced, a handful of green parts reserved for garnish
4 ounces rice noodles
1 bunch cilantro, chopped, a small handful reserved for garnish
Soy sauce, to taste

Heat a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.  Open the cans of coconut milk and scoop the heavy cream-like part off into the pot.  Add the curry pastes and serrano chile, cooking until the curry paste is incorporated and the mixture starts to sizzle.  Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is cooked through.

Add the rest of the coconut milk, chicken broth, carrot, lemongrass, fish sauce, lime zest and juice, brown sugar and ginger.  Simmer on low to medium heat for about 20 minutes.  Add the snow peas, bell pepper, bok choi, and green onions and cook for a couple of minutes.  Turn off the heat and add the noodles, submersing them gently under the liquid.  Let sit for about 5 minutes.  (Rice noodles do not need to cook like pasta; they just need to rehydrate.)

Add the cilantro and soy sauce to taste.  Serve hot, sprinkled with green onion and cilantro.

Subscribe to free updates from The World in My Kitchen

Carole September 6, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Fantastic! How about linking it in to Food on Friday: Chillies and other spicy stuff? Have a great week!

Carole September 7, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Great that you linked in, thanks. have a good one

Sarah September 7, 2012 at 5:12 PM

This sounds amazing! I'll have to make it sometime.

Candy September 7, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Loves fabulous! I'm totally into Thai flavors right now. I've seen lemongrass at Meijer before, have you looked there?

Kathleen September 7, 2012 at 8:11 PM

You are so right about Pinterest! Too funny. This soup looks delish!

Debs @ The Spanish Wok September 8, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Never seen a recipe using 2 different curry pastes before. I'd like to try this. Your recipe is also perfect to submit to my soup event for this month's theme.......

You are welcome to join in my monthly food blogger event THE SOUP KITCHEN, here for entry details and current theme. New theme each month. All bloggers are welcome, hope to see you participate soon.

Mindy September 8, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Debs, using two different pastes is uncommon, but the first time I used just green, and I wasn't completely satisfied with the flavor. We keep both around the house, so I experimented and liked it best this way. You can always go with just one or the other if you don't have both! :-)

Mindy September 8, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Candy, unfortunately,my grocery choices are Kroger and Walmart only in my little town, and they're pretty limited in ethnic produce. I'll try to pick some up and freeze it, though, next time I'm in Lexington!

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes September 8, 2012 at 12:09 PM

LOVE Thai food..this soup looks great!

simple recipes September 11, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Easy recipe to prepare!! Fun to prepare all your recipes. Well done
My grandmother makes exactly this recipe

Gerry @Foodness Gracious September 11, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Thai curries are my all time fav dish! This looks wonderful, can I ask you how you got the tiny pin it box to function? I have mine in the same spot but I can't find the spot for the second body of text from Pintrest! Hope you don't mind me asking :)
Thanks!!

Vicki Butler-Hagen September 16, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I can't get enough of this delicious soup! Thank you SO much for posting this recipe!!

Senka I February 20, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Hi,
We’ve recently launched the website RecipesUS.com. It’s a search engine that aims to gather all the best recipes from US websites and blogs in one place. We’ve noticed that you have a lot of great looking recipes on your blog that we would love to feature on our site. To read more about how it all works and to sign up with your blog, please visit: http://recipesus.com or send us an email on info@recipesus.com. We look forward to hearing from you!

Kind regards,
Senka

artistforever February 20, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Hello,
I would like to invite you to post your recipes on my new foodie community http://whenangelscook.com - love your recipes. You will benefit from social media and I am sure the blog will grow and grow. So that means good exposure for your website. Check it out - have a great day!

prada handbags March 18, 2014 at 3:17 AM

Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple was a show that really did surprise me in its first season by being more fun than I expected. Some aspects make me cringe a little, such as the ridiculous outfits that the women often have to wear or the large chest size of Miu in general that plays up the fanservice angle. But these are minor complaints and things that are, for better or worse, traditions in the genre. This season gets off to a very good start and is something that I'm glad to see doing well for FUNimation, It's a fun show that has found a good balance of seriousness to go with the humor and mildly outlandish story elements. The core idea is what's most appealing though as it has a group of masters putting one young man through a ton of training rolex datejust replica abuse to make him the strongest rolex replica of the strongest. The mixed styles and the regular fights that don't feel like they're pulling punches as other shows do gives this an edge over them and leaves a lasting impression.