Friday, October 31, 2008

Lemon Loaf to the Rescue

Since I didn't feel like I could take my messy truffles to the General Consul's party, I needed a backup plan. And yet again, without learning my lesson with the truffles, I decided to try a recipe I'd never made before. Luckily, this Lemony Lemon Loaf turned out nicely. The flavor is reminiscent of a mild frozen lemonade. It's very moist, and if you like the taste of lemons, this is your loaf!

Lemony Lemon Loaf

Loaf:
1/2 cup butter (but you could sub margarine if you'd like)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup 2% milk
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Zest of one lemon

Glaze:
Juice of one lemon
1/4 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a bowl, cream the sugar and butter. Add the eggs one egg at a time. Stir in the milk. Combine the dry ingredients and lemon zest in a small bowl. Stir in bit by bit to the wet ingredients. Pour into a greased (or ungreased non-stick) loaf pan. (I used an 8"x4", I think, which is a common size in France--longer and narrower--but a normal 9"x5" would work too.)

Bake for 55-60 minutes. Check the loaf at about 45 minutes by inserting a wooden toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, it's done! (I made two loaves yesterday. The first one took 45 minutes, and the second one took 55 minutes. I don't know why that is, so check on your loaf to make sure it doesn't burn.)

When the loaf is done, remove and let it cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan and heat while stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Remove the loaf from the pan and set on a wire rack over something to catch the glaze drippings. Poke a lot of holes in the top of the loaf with a toothpick and spoon the glaze over the top of the loaf, letting it soak in. Let it cool and enjoy!

~Dana October 31, 2008 at 9:09 AM

Looks great! Lemon anything is my favorite!

Debbie October 31, 2008 at 11:26 AM

clastHey Mindy,

So you commented on my blog.... thanks... then I clicked on you to see who had commented and there was your beautiful lemon loaf. It's perfect.... I've got a bunch of lemons I need to use and company coming. Fablulous. So thanks.!

Mindy October 31, 2008 at 5:03 PM

It seemed to be a winner...everyone who tried it liked it! (Although one group was college students, and they'll eat anything homemade!) I would suggest using a sharp knife to cut it. I tried a butter knife at first, and it made a mess.

Debbie October 31, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Thanks Mindy!! It's awesome and I'm going to make a few more for the freezer. ♡

Chef E October 31, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Oh, I have had a love affair with lemon and orange all my life! You should read my blog 'Pucker Up Baby'.
I am going to make this on Saturday afternoon, thanks!

Mindy November 1, 2008 at 5:39 AM

Let me know how it turns out, chef e! Maybe I'll try it with oranges next time...

And debbie, let me know how they freeze!

Chef E November 3, 2008 at 2:00 PM

I made muffins, but mine seem to stick to the pan even in non-stick, but they were great with my 'lemony chicken' dinner Sunday night!

Mindy November 3, 2008 at 2:08 PM

chef e,

Hmmm...I used a non-stick loaf pan, and it came right out. I wonder if it would work better if the muffin tin were sprayed with something? The loaf was so heavy that I think that gravity made it come out!

Lệ Thối September 30, 2016 at 6:11 AM

You're very knowledgeable about it, very deep and spacious, Not everyone has an overview and spacious as you, so wonderful, I can share your opinions on its website reviews, hopefully on your next article
get help in windows