Monday, May 21, 2012

Pickled Carrots and Radishes [Secret Recipe Club]

My life has been busy!  I work at a college, and students didn't leave campus until last week.  I got a cold.  My daughter had her 6th birthday party.  My CSA started up.  And I had to prepare for this month's Secret Recipe Club.  Luckily, the last two events overlapped.  :-)  I was assigned to secretly choose something  from Joanna's blog, Cairn's Manor, and out of sheer luck I had bookmarked this recipe for Pickled Carrots and Radishes, even before I knew I was getting two big bunches of radishes from my CSA.  I also had planned on making an Asian-marinated flank steak for dinner last week, so I knew it was kismet.  I made a couple of small changes to Joanna's recipe, but nothing major.  My family loved the flavors together, and my daughter even asked for a big portion of it on the side to eat.  I know I'll be making this again and again (especially since I get a ton of radishes every spring and never know quite what to do with them)!

On a side note, I feel a special kinship to Joanna since she and I share a love story around fettuccine alfredo.  Back in February, she actually cooked one of my favorite dishes my husband makes for me and featured it on her blog.  I guess fettuccine alfredo makes the world go round.  :-)

Pickled Carrots and Radishes
Adapted from Cairn's Manor
Makes 1 Pint

3 carrots, peeled and grated
2 bunches red radishes, grated
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 + 1/8 cup white distilled vinegar
1/2 cup warm water
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Place the carrots, radishes, and cilantro in a small bowl and mix with the salt and let sit for 5-10 minutes.  Place in a colander and squeeze all of the liquid out that you can.  Fill a pint jar or other sealable container with the vegetables, layering with the cilantro as you go.

In a medium bowl, mix the sugar and warm water until the sugar is dissolved.  Add the vinegar and red pepper flakes.  Pour over the vegetables until completely covered.  Refrigerate for at least one hour before eating.  The pickled veggies should last about a month in the refrigerator.

Subscribe to free updates from The World in My Kitchen

Cara @ The Boys Made Me Do It May 21, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I had your blog this month and made cantaloupe sorbet which we loved!! Here is the post!

Lacy @ NYCityEats May 21, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Mmm this sounds incredible! I love pickling veggies, this would be such a great topping for steak as you have it! YUM!

Rhonda May 21, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I bought 25 pounds of carrots with my last Bountiful Baskets and planned on pickling some, they are grated and in the freezer. When my radishes in the garden are ready I know what I'll be pickling!

Chelsy Ethridge May 21, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Need to use this on my sandwich as a spread YUM!

weheartvegan May 21, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Yum yum yum!! I love spicy, pickled vegetables!!

Aimee Christian May 21, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Whenever we go eat Korean food I always ask for seconds of pickled carrots. They are addictive!

Teri@thefreshmancook May 21, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Sounds like this recipe was meant for you! Looks delicious!

Gerry @Foodness Gracious May 22, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Great post, I could easily sit and snack on these,
Nice SRC job :)

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION May 22, 2012 at 5:14 AM

I keep meaning to make pickles. Your pics and reminding me it is so simple are making me gather the ingredients as I type. PICKLES! Can't wait. THANK YOU. I hope mine look as good as yours in the jar! Beautiful!

Cathy at Wives with Knives May 22, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I love pickled vegetables. They are a great snack and low in calories too! This is a perfect side dish with any Asian recipe.

Gretchen (Veggie Grettie) May 22, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I am going to HAVE to try this since I am growing radishes in our garden.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite May 23, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I've never pickled anything before but now you have me inspired! I must try it soon!

Daniel Saraga May 24, 2012 at 10:46 AM

These look really good.

I'm hoping to find a recipe for pickled carrot sticks or rounds. Maybe I can use this as a base?

Peggy G. May 26, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I wish I was able to participate in our CSA this year! Life is just WAY to busy and I'm hardly ever home anymore! These pickled carrots and radishes sound like an awesome addition to some grilled goodies =)

Jo May 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Awesome! I am so glad they made the whole family happy! I tend to make these every few months or so, basically whenever we gt in the mood for bahn mi! Also, thanks again for putting my link for the month into the blog hop, you were a lifesaver!

devil jiang July 3, 2014 at 4:06 AM

Different airport, different chanel replica price - Duty-free shops are run by different companies depending on the country and airport they're in. The Duty Free hermes outlet Shopping Index has guides to shopping duty-free in various countries. Also visit Duty Free Price gucci outlet Guide to see how different airport stores price the same item.