Sunday, September 6, 2009

Adventures in Okra: West African Stew

Lately, my CSA has been handing out okra like candy. I've had fried okra before since I lived in North Carolina during grad school, but had never tried to cook it myself. I'm not much of a fryer, so I went online to find something else to do with it, and came across a recipe for West African stew on Epicurious. I love peanut butter in savory dishes, so I thought this would be a winner.

I wasn't disappointed. This was a relatively easy dish, and although I'll be making some changes next time (reflected in the recipe below), there will be a next time. The okra was a little tough, but I think that could be remedied by letting it cook longer. And since okra isn't readily available everywhere or even during all seasons, my husband and I agreed that green beans would be a good substitute.

West African Stew
Adapted from Epicurious

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp salt
1 14-oz can whole tomatoes in juice
1/4 cup water
2 Tbl tomato paste
1/4 cup peanut oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced and mashed with 1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cayenne pepper (You can go up to 1 1/4 tsp, but we found that 3/4 tsp gave it a nice kick without overpowering the other flavors.)
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
Soy Sauce, to taste
1 lb. squash (or sweet potato)
10 oz okra, fresh or frozen, thawed if frozen
Chopped cilantro, for garnish
Brown rice

Arrange the chicken on several plates or a tray and sprinkle with 1 tsp salt. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.

While waiting for the chicken, pulse the tomatoes in their juices in a processor or blender until finely chopped. Stir the 1/4 cup of water with the tomato paste in a small bowl until smooth. Whisk together the peanut butter and 1 cup of broth in another bowl until smooth.

Heat the oil in a 6-7-quart heavy-bottomed pot and brown the chicken over a moderately hot flame in batches, a few minutes on each side. Remove the chicken and drain all but 2 tablespoons of oil. Lower the flame to a moderate heat and add the onions to the pot, and cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are golden around the edges, about 2-3 minutes. **At this point you can either leave the chicken breasts whole or cut into several slivers. If serving in a bowl, I suggest the slivers.**

Add the tomato mixture, tomato paste, garlic and cayenne to the onions and mix well. Then add the peanut butter mixture, the remaining 3/4 cup broth, and a couple of splashes of soy sauce and mix. Add the chicken into the sauce. (The chicken may not be covered completely.) Bring to a boil, uncovered, and then reduce the heat and cover. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is very tender.

**Start cooking your rice now.**

Peel your squash and cut into chunks. Add the squash and okra in the last 10 minutes of cooking and let simmer 10-15 minutes, until the squash is tender, but not falling apart. Remove the okra and cut into thick slices and return to the stew.

Serve over brown rice.

Subscribe to free updates from Mindy's Mouthful

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction September 6, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Yum! I also love peanuts in savory dishes! I wish we had some okra from our CSA, but that doesn't seem to be a veggie that they are farming here. I like it in soups.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen September 8, 2009 at 9:11 AM

You made the humble little okra look so beautiful. Bravo.
Sam

Chef Fresco September 8, 2009 at 10:00 PM

I think i've only ever had okra fried. I'd love it this way though!

Chef E September 9, 2009 at 1:39 AM

I love this recipe! I love it anyway I can get it...and have picked my friends, for which we pickled it, but I could go for this!

Jamie September 9, 2009 at 3:56 AM

Yay Mindy! I've been thinking about you and was thrilled to see you back! How's the life change?

This is an amazing dish and I love the flavors. I am stepping gingerly into African cooking and this looks perfect! I think I will try this one!

Welcome back, Mindy!

Lori September 10, 2009 at 7:03 AM

I've never been one for fried okra, but I finally got the chance to try Frango com Quiabo in Brazil. Chicken with okra stew. I loved the flavor of the okra in it. Given the African influences in the northern part of the country I have a feeling these two dishes have similar roots. Looks great!

Laura in Paris September 15, 2009 at 2:41 PM

I have never cooked ocra, gotta try it, I guess .. your recipe sound very well adapted!

Sarah September 15, 2009 at 6:42 PM

I have actually made this for a friend from chad! It was delicious and I would highly reccomend it to anyone!!

Unknown September 10, 2016 at 10:37 AM

نقدم لكم شركة البيت الافضل شركة نظافة بالرياض, الشركة الاولى فى مجال الخدمات المنزلية بالسعودية بكافة المدن بها سواء بالرياض او الدمام او جدة او مكة او المدينة المنورة ,
حيث تعد الشركة احسن شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض تقدم اعمال التنظيف المختلفه مثل تنظيف السجاد والموكيت وتنظيف الارضيات
وتتميز شركة البيت الافضل شركة نقل عفش بالرياض بتقديمها لخدمة نقل عفش بالرياض بالاعتماد على اكفأ العمال البشرية المتخصصه فى فك وتركيب الاثاث بالرياض , كما تقدم الشركة خدمة تخزين الاثاث بالرياض فى افضل مستودعات التخزين ولفترات كبيرة جدا مع العمل شركة تخزين اثاث بالرياض تقدم خدمة تغليف الاثاث بالرياض وتنظيفه وتعبئته على ايدى افضل الايادى العامله بالرياض
تعد افضل شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
من افضل شركات رش المبيدات الحشرية بالرياض , فشركة البيت الافضل تقدم تعد افضل شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض وتستخدم اعلى المبيدات الحشرية من حيث الجودة والتى تحقق افضل نتائج لرش الدفان بالرياض
كما تعد البيت الافضل افضل افضل شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض تحافظ على مياه الخزانات وتخلصها من الرواسب والبكتيريا والطحالب الموجوده بقاع الخزانات
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
تقدم الشركة خدماتكشف تسربات المياه بالرياض من خلال الاعتماد على احدث اجهزة كشف تسربات المياه بدون تكسير والتى تساعد على تحديد مكان التسربات بدقة ,
كل هذه الخدمات الشامله تقدم فقط من خلال شركة البيت الافضل كأفضل شركة خدمات منزلية بالرياض وبأرخص الاسعار والتكاليف التى تبحثون عنها , فضلا عن ان الشركة تقدم المزيد من العروض والتخفيضات والخصومات المذهله والشامله على كل العملاء الجدد والمميزن , فبادرو بالاتصال بنا من اى مكان بالسعودية واحيائها المختلفة لتجدونا لديكم فى الحال

ghada September 4, 2017 at 10:05 AM

ghada September 4, 2017 at 10:06 AM

funny t shirts September 19, 2018 at 9:17 PM

Designer Exposure es un buen lugar para comprar su Bolsos Michael Kors original.
The Woven Tote es también una selección impresionante en el Bolsos Michael Kors Baratos.
Bolso de alta calidad que debe contemplar absolutamente un Bolsos Michael Kors Outlet.
Du kommer att upptäcka en handfull detaljer som du kan förvänta dig att komma över på en vanlig Michael Kors Rea.
Du kan hitta ett antal platser som ger Väska Michael Kors.
Sortimentet är fantastiskt för alla som letar efter en MK Väska.
Håll dina ögon öppna för den här säsongens val som kommer att presenteras under bara några månader och det kommer utan tvekan att bli spektakulärt.

machao September 21, 2019 at 3:51 AM

Both things are possible if you carry Michael Kors Handbags Wholesale. If you are a woman who goes for innovative designs, a designer Michael Kors Bags On Sale is perfect for you. Offering a huge selection of chic purses, handbags, shoes and accessories, Michael Kors Outlet Online Store celebrates womanhood in an entirely unique way. Michael Kors Factory Outlet Online Store At Wholesale Price are one of the most sought-after handbags worldwide. We all agree that diamonds are a woman's best friend; however Official Coach Factory Outlet Online are absolutely next in line. To Coach Outlet Sale aficionados, don't fret because we have great news: a discount Official Coach Outlet Online isn't hard to find. If you are a smart shopper looking for a good buy and great deals on your next handbag purchase, you can go to Official Coach Outlet Online.

Friendly Links: Toms Shoes Womens | Toms Clearance

Leo5 January 30, 2020 at 1:08 AM

Thanks for the wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading.

How To Backup Messages On Android Devices

Taylor Johnson September 29, 2021 at 10:42 AM

The last step is to deliver the complete solution to the students within time after getting the payment. Therefore, the last minute assignment help online is very easy to access to get the complete solution at times of urgency.

Allessaywriter.com is dedicated to offering premium quality essay writer across all genres, including cause and effect, descriptive, comparative, argumentative and more. If you need flawlessly drafted and well-referenced essay writing at the best price, look nowhere else, and count on us.

Assignment Help Pro October 5, 2021 at 4:28 AM

If you have any doubt on how to get services forassignment help in your academic writing paper, then reach out to us and get help from our assignment helper.

e visa Turkey October 20, 2021 at 3:52 AM

Good post. I would like to thank you for the effort you put into writing this interesting and informative article. If you need a visa to enter Turkey, you can apply for Turkish Visit Visa and Visa Application Form Can fill e Visa Turkey. It usually doesn't take too long to process and obtain a Turkey Electronic Visa

SAVIOLA November 11, 2021 at 4:48 AM

Thank you for taking your time to put in your best in this article. This post is the most incredible article I haven't read in a very long time. I hope to read more from this blog. Also, checkout fce abeokuta post utme form fee

Michael December 1, 2021 at 8:22 AM

Thanks for sharing this amazing and nice post. Looking for the best assignment help uk turnout to Assignments Planet for all assignment services at a cheap price.

شركات تنظيف خزانات المياه December 15, 2021 at 5:08 PM

اقوى الخدمات الخاصة بأعمال نقل العفش مع الفك والتركيب في الرياض يقدمها موقع خدماتي الذي يضم افضل شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض التي تقدم خدماتها بمنتهى الاحترافية والدقة معتمدين على فريق عمل مدرب جيدا ونجارين متخصصين لتقديم خدمات شركه نقل عفش بالرياض باحترافية عالية وجودة غير مسبوقة

adam clean December 15, 2021 at 5:09 PM

من افضل شركات منطقة مكة المكرمة التي تعمل في مجال تنظيف وتعقيم المنازل تلك الشركة الجيدة التي تقدم خدمات جيدة في تنظيف المنازل من الداخل ومن الخارج وتسمى شركه تنظيف منازل بجده وهي التي تختص بأعمال التنظيف للمنازل الجديدة والمفروشة في مدينة جدة والتي تقوم بها افضل شركه تنظيف بيوت لها خبرة طويلة بالمجال
وقد تقوم تلك الشركات في جدة ايضا بتقديم خدمات غسيل المفروشات والكنب والسجاد تحت مسمى آخر مثل شركة تنظيف كنب بجدة وتقوم تلك الشركات بتقديم تلك الخدمات بأسعار جيدة وخدمات مقبولة
في العاصمة المقدسة التي هي مكة المكرمة توجد لدينا امكانيات كبيرة في مجال تنظيف المنازل والشقق والفلل كما في شركة تنظيف بمكة المكرمة فلو تريد تنظيف بيتك او منزلك وانت في مكة تواصل معنا في حالة ان كان المنزل جديد
اما في حال ان كان المنزل مفروش واصاب الفرش من الأوساخ والأتربة مثل الكنب والمجالس والسجاد وتريد التنظيف بالبخار تواصل مع شركة تنظيف موكيت بمكة المكرمة وهي شركة متميزة في أعمال الغسيل والتنظيف بالبخار في نفس الموقع

faithsid December 23, 2021 at 11:38 PM

I appreciate your efforts. I found a lot of interesting stuff in your blog, Ukraine Business Visa. is a golden opportunity for foreigners who need to travel for reasons related to their business work, such as attending a business meeting, negotiations, etc. It is a single-entry travel document.

kenya e visa January 11, 2022 at 7:00 PM

Thank you The international travelers who traveling to Kenya need kenya e visa. That they can apply online and can get the 24*7 customer assistant.

India emergency visa on arrival February 8, 2022 at 1:08 AM

Wow.. Very informative article thanks for sharing please keep it up.. India emergency visa on arrival get online through the India visa website.

PandaGeneral February 21, 2022 at 6:16 AM

Our Nursing Assignment Help covers a vast range of areas within nursing field in order to provide complete package to students seeking nursing assignment help in Australia, US and UK.

Indian e visa online March 10, 2022 at 11:40 AM

I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and informative. So, I would like to thank you for the effort you put into writing this article. The Indian e visa online or Electronic Visa (eTV) is an online travel authorization. You can apply online for e visa to India via the India e visa website.

Willam March 12, 2022 at 7:31 AM

Great articles, thank you. Do you have any ideas?The cost of Indian visa for Australian ? Fortunately, now you can easily check the Indian visa fees for Australian and many other countries.

DEEPANSHU TANDON March 21, 2022 at 3:25 AM

white pencil studio is a creative agency that harnesses creativity , technology , and culture to create connected brands and beautiful experiences.seo agency dubai.

azerbaijan visa April 2, 2022 at 11:12 AM

Thank you for this amazing post.. Wish to travel to Azerbaijan for business and tourism purpose then apply for Azerbaijan visa online. That offers you fast and very secure process.

Ava April 29, 2022 at 3:26 AM

Hello sir, I really appreciate your efforts and I look forward to your further writings, thanks once again. Many people ask, what is the cost of e-Visa India? The e visa India fee depends on your nationality and your visa type.

Sophia May 23, 2022 at 8:20 AM

Outstanding read, I just passed this on to my friend who was doing a little research on this topic. Visa for Turkey from US is electronic travel authorizations provided by the Turkish government to citizens of the United States. In contrast to a regular visa, this one is for travelers who do not want to apply for a visa in advance and wish to travel to Turkey.

IT solutions services June 23, 2022 at 2:59 AM

Thanks for taking the time to talk about it; it's something I was very excited to know about. I just inform you that we provide IT solutions services to various industries like:- education, automotive, finance services, health and insurance and many more. By the use of the latest technology for the clients of B2B & B2C both.

Samuel July 27, 2022 at 6:07 AM

Here If any worried about your Assignment Help Australia. so, don't waste your time visiting the website TFTH which offer's the best assignment writing service in Australia at an affordable price with a great expert team of professionals where you can get professional assignment help also.

Assignment Studio September 28, 2022 at 8:43 AM

Do you need Professional myassignmenthelp? Our best online assignment writers offer assignment help online at Affordable Rates.