Monday, April 23, 2012

From-Scratch Chicken Pot Pie [Secret Recipe Club]

***Don't forget to enter my giveaway for 7 two 7 glass garden markers! The contest ends on Friday, April 27th.

It's Secret Recipe Club time again!  I drew Art from My Table, and I'm so glad I did.  My family had a tough time picking just one recipe to try: my daughter picked Pumpkin Oatmeal, I wanted Sparkling Cranberry Brie Bites, and my husband wanted Chicken Pot Pie.  My husband won out, mostly because I wasn't hosting a party for the Brie Bites and because we needed an extra dinner last week, but those other recipes are on my list to make in the near future!

Chellie cooks, writes and photographs for Art from My Table, and does a magnificent job of creating delicious-looking, yet accessible food.  And her Chicken Pot Pie is one of these recipes.  I made a few changes to suit my tastes, but her recipe is a great base recipe to experiment with.  This is definitely going into my regular rotation of meals...even my picky two year old ate the filling!

Because I wanted  to eat this for a busy mid-week meal, I prepared the pies in individual ramekins and froze them.  I added about 15 minutes of cooking time for the frozen pies.  This worked wonderfully--I popped the pies in the oven after work and then ran outside to play with the kids on a beautiful spring afternoon.  Go check out the original recipe for the base recipe and for a large pie; my instructions below are for 6-inch ramekins.

From-Scratch Chicken Pot Pie
Adapted from Art from My Table
Makes three large individual portions

Cook's Note: If you'd like to freeze these for later use, throw them in the freezer, and when they are frozen through, wrap tightly in foil.  When you are ready to cook them, just throw them in the oven and cook for about 15 minutes longer.

1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cups chicken stock
2/3 cup whole milk
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
2/3 lb. cooked chicken breast, chopped
3 cups vegetables (I used equal amounts of green beans, peas, carrots, fennel.  Fresh or frozen work well here.)
2 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
Pastry for two nine-inch pie crusts (I used Alice Waters' recipe from The Art of Simple Food, and will continue to use it for this recipe.)

Prepare the crust: Butter three 6-inch individual ramekins.  Line the ramekins with pie crust, cutting off excess with a sharp knife.  Roll out three portions that will cover the entire top of the ramekin and set aside.  (Because you are using ramekins instead of a large pie tin, you may need to incorporate the excess bits and reroll the crust to have enough to cover all three.)  Place the ramekins in the refrigerator until you're ready to fill them.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Prepare the filling: In a large saucepan, melt the butter.  Add the flour, onions, salt and pepper.  Cook, stirring, for about 1-2 minutes or until the mixture becomes bubbly.  Stir in the wine and cook until incorporated.  Add the chicken stock, milk, thyme and rosemary, stirring until thick and bubbly.  Add the cooked chicken and vegetables.  Taste for seasoning.  Add salt or pepper to taste.

Remove the ramekins from the refrigerator.  Scoop the filling into the ramekins until they are completely full.  Cover each pie with your pre-rolled crust.  Pinch the edges so that the crust is sealed.  Cut vents in the top of each crust.

Place your ramekins on a rimmed cookie sheet.  Place in the oven and start checking on your pot pies after about 25-30 minutes.  (They could take up to 45 minutes to cook, but it's good to start checking early so they don't burn.)  They are done when the crusts are golden brown and the insides are bubbling.  Remove from the oven and let rest for at least 15 minutes.

Subscribe to free updates from The World in My Kitchen

Kate April 23, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Chicken Pot Pies are the ultimate comfort food! Yours look amazing. Great SRC choice.

Jennifer {Mother Thyme} April 23, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I love pot pie and I haven't made them in some time. With it snowing here today (yes, snowing) this would be the perfect dish to enjoy for dinner tonight! Great choice for SRC! :)

Kim - Liv Life April 23, 2012 at 12:28 PM

What perfect timing! We are in the midst of a cold, dreary, drizzly week here in coastal San Diego and this is exactly what I'm looking for to warm up my body. Well done!

Erin April 23, 2012 at 1:13 PM

These look wonderful! Excellent pick! (But the Brie bites do sound wonderful! =o)

Aimee Christian April 23, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I need these every winter. I never thought about making them in small ramekins...genius! Where did you get yours?

Group C Rocks!

E.K.R April 23, 2012 at 1:28 PM

These sound deeeelish! I want one now. :) Your photos are beautiful! What a great choice for SRC. Thanks so much for sharing.

Kate April 23, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Love the idea of the individual pot pies frozen. What a tremendous way to have a hot lunch!

Mindy April 23, 2012 at 1:56 PM

@Aimee, I got mine from the grocery store when I was like 14 years old! I made my mom save all of the "stamps," and we "bought" a set of 8! ;-) My daughter just got me some smaller ones from WalMart, though, so they may have different sizes.

Danielle April 23, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Great choice! One of my husband's favorite meals is chicken pot pie.

Devon @ deli-cute-essen April 23, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Wow these look so beautiful. And I think they would be pretty easy to veganize. Thanks for the great recipe.

Mindy April 23, 2012 at 2:29 PM

@Devon, it really would be easy to vegetarianize or veganize. :-)

Jane Craske April 23, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Oh, delicious! There is nothing more comforting than a nice pot pie C:

Teri@thefreshmancook April 23, 2012 at 4:02 PM

The ultimate comfort food. This food brings back so many memories! It looks delicious!

Cindy April 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Chicken Pot Pie has got to be the perfect comfort food. I love the individual servings. Great SRC pick.

Wendy Wofford-Garcia April 23, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Well...don't these look AMAZING?!?!? Pinning...and hoping to make before the truly hot weather sets in here in Texas...so pretty. Great to be in SRC Group C with you!!

Aly ~ Cooking In Stilettos April 23, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Great call with the individual servings - I will have to do that (I need to learn to maximize my freezer to save time and $$$). These look scrumptious!

Veronica Gantley April 23, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Chicken pot pie is the ultimate comfort food.You picked a great recipe for SRC

Eliotseats April 23, 2012 at 8:57 PM

These are beautiful. Great SRC post! (And I had no idea what a flaugnarde was before I got my assignment!) :)

Christine @ Christine's Kitchen Chronicles April 23, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I'm a huge fan of Chicken Pot Pie and I could almost smell this through your beautiful photos. Great pick!

Anne@FromMySweetHeart April 23, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Mindi....so glad your husband won out here. These look so soul satisfying! And so good to know that you can make them in advance! They really do look scrumptious! : )

Kirstin April 23, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I LOVE making homemade potpies. I like your idea of putting them in ramekins and even freezing them...

Anna @ hiddenponies April 24, 2012 at 12:28 AM

These are beautiful, and I love the individual sizes, great idea!

Rhonda April 24, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Turning them into individual pies and freezing them was so smart. I need to take a cue from you and plan ahead better.

Kristy Lynn April 24, 2012 at 5:41 PM

i've been meaning to make pot pie from scratch but have been unable as of yet to find the right recipe. this one looks fantastic. i've bookmarked it :)

happy src reveal from a group D member!

Gerry @Foodness Gracious April 25, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Fantastic looking pie! Makin me hungryyyy

YSL outlet online April 21, 2014 at 3:20 AM

Yves Saint Laurent in the 1970s was adopted in 1961 as the artist Cassandre YSL outlet design Logo, had created a Monogram design. The Monogram design is repeated to the point and Cassandre's Logo cable, and then decorated with black, dark brown and light brown combination of three colors, three-dimensional pattern of the overall balance. Subsequently in 2013, Hedi Slimane Saint Laurent is currently the creative director of Yves Saint Laurent creation using the year out of the Monogram design, to create a new YSL handbags Saint Laurent Monogram luggage and handbag line, but it is formally incorporated into the brand's permanent series.The new Saint Laurent Monogram series with the probe from natural cotton bags made ??of sail cloth is made of tough leather, plus a coating on the surface, so that the appearance of shiny gift, and places the brand's unique Grosgrain lined with leather to create, for the series add lightweight feel. In addition, each piece in the series in the form of decorative stamped on the brand's signature gold signature ingenuity.Saint Laurent Monogram whole entire series in Italy, now in the full range of specialist shops and YSL outlet handbags brands on sale, priced from HK $ 1,123 to $ 33,500. French fashion house Yves Saint Laurent handbag Sac de jour since the 2013 launch, quickly conquered Angelina - Jolie the heavyweight fans. This bag is Yves Saint Laurent's classic reprint, simple timeless design from Slimane creative director of mine.