Monday, March 7, 2011

Fig and Walnut Spread

During my last days in France, I discovered the most delectable spread--a fig and walnut cheese spread. The cheese was like Alouette or Rondele cheese here in the states, but instead of a savory flavor, this one was slightly sweet. When I returned to the States, I realized that the flavor does not exist here, so I started making my own. Sometimes I blend it with a little milk to thin it out, but last time I made it, I just layered the ingredients (all three of them), and I think I'll be making it this way from now on--it's just so pretty. :-) Serve with crackers, and voilĂ , you have a simple and sophisticated appetizer!

Fig and Walnut Cheese Spread

1 package block cream cheese
1/2 fig jam, or more or less to taste
1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped, or more to taste

Heat the jam in the microwave for just a few seconds to slightly warm--you just want to make the jam a little more pourable. Place the cream cheese on a plate or a bowl. Pour the jam over the top. Sprinkle the walnuts over the jam. Enjoy with crackers!

Subscribe to free updates from Mindy's Mouthful

Darcy March 7, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Man, I ate so many fresh figs in France! And they are so delicious!! Wish they were easily available here. Your recipe sounds delicious tho!! What kind of crackers do you put with it?

Mindy March 7, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I recommend something hefty. I tried using round wheat crackers last time, and they just crumbled. Something sturdy like Wheat Thins would work great!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking March 9, 2011 at 1:27 PM

What a delicious looking spread with creative flavors, Mindy! Thanks for sharing. You have a beautiful blog and I'm looking forward to exploring your recipes. :)

rebecca | somewhere southern March 10, 2011 at 10:04 PM

This sounds absolutely scrumptious! I love cheese spreads like this, but I don't think I've ever had these flavors. This will be on the menu at my next get-together. Or maybe just my next Friday night at home.

Tessa March 15, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Love how simple yet elegant this spread is!

phyllisjanes December 5, 2011 at 1:36 AM

Thanks for the recipe. Classic and simple is exactly how I like it.

- fitted kitchens webmaster