Sunday, January 25, 2009

How to Use a Whole Chicken Three Ways--Part III, Homemade Chicken Stock

So the last thing I made from the roast chicken was homemade chicken stock. I've made veggie stock before, but never a meat stock, but I decided to go out on a limb with the cooked carcass. I've only ever seen recipes for meat stocks with uncooked parts. The idea came at Thanksgiving when the French butchers thought they were doing me a favor by removing (and throwing away) all of the gizzards. When I went to make some extra turkey stock for the gravy, I didn't know what to do. As you may remember, I cooked the turkey the morning of Thanksgiving and my husband carved it hours before the masses arrived to free up oven and refrigerator space. While he was carving, I noticed all of the leftover bones, bits of meat and skin. Why not make a stock out of that? I did, and it turned out great! So I made a reproduction of that turkey stock with this chicken carcass.

I don't really have a recipe for this. I threw the carcass in a large pot and covered generously with water. (In retrospect, I probably would freeze this until I cooked another chicken and then use two carcasses for added chicken flavor.) I then added the leftover parts of veggies I had in a large ziplock bag in my freezer. I've started saving the inedible parts of vegetables (tops, stalks, etc.) just for something like this. This time, the frozen bits included mostly leeks, broccoli, and celery, but I added some fresh garlic, onion and carrots to the mix too. I also added a little salt, some peppercorns and a bouquet garni sachet. I took Alton Brown's suggestion of putting a steamer basket on top to hold the veggies down, skimmed the top for that gross frothy stuff every once in a while, and just let simmer for about six hours. I ended up adding a couple of cups of water throughout the simmering process because it started reducing too much. (Sorry, no pictures today...stock just isn't that photogenic!)

At the end of six hours, I submerged the pot in an ice bath in my sink until the stock was cooled down. Then I put it in muffin tins in 1/4-cup increments and froze them. Once frozen, I popped them out and put them in a plastic ziplock bag in the freezer to be used whenever I need stock!

The total use of the chicken (and even the bits of veggies I normally throw away) has made me feel very economical, and as my husband put it, very ecological too. Stock is really easy to make, even if time consuming, and I think it adds a much better flavor and is much healthier when homemade.

Laura December 6, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Thank you for this whole chicken series. This is exactly what I was looking for. Initial recipe, leftover recipe, and reminder on how to make stock.

Anonymous,  July 5, 2014 at 2:42 AM

Purchase 1 piece of side suggestion brogues, oneturdy piece of work womentyle replica chanel and something piece of coaches, and you will possess the perfecthoe regardless of what the elements has been doing. Providing traditional appeal as well as very easily flexible to all kinds of ensemble, they are the very best 3 fundamentals youhould possess within yourhoe selection as well as every offer lots of put on should you take care of all of them correctly. Dark brown side ideas, dark fake gucci bags as well as basic coaches tend to be what you want, if you would like shoes thathows you are nolave in order to style. These types of color combinationshould maintain a person protected every single day from the 7 days. Regardless of what period from the 12 months it's, youhould have the ability to place your hands upon a bit of darkish clean dior replica. Probably the most versatile components of clothes close to, they are well suited for all sorts ofocial as well as company events, which means youhould in no way end up being with no item. If you are searching fortyles that won't end up being from style, select atraight or even lightly kick out reduce. Otherhapes can come as well as proceed however, this can becoming qualities, they are 2 which willtick close to permanently. Among the best as well as top enduring buys you may make is really a high quality leather-based replica tag heuer. Difficult, long lasting as well as ideal regardless of whether you are away towards the bar or even proceeding to the workplace, leather-based duplicate totes utes tend to be basically investwoments as well as through selecting 1 inside a traditional style, you are making sure it's durability like a clothing favorite. The women’s leather-based motor cyclist duplicate totes may be the ideal option for individuals who would like the classic appear that is assertive as well as versatile. Or even you might like to consider a customized leather-based replica omega for those who have a far more preppytyle.

ghada September 7, 2017 at 6:26 AM

ghada September 7, 2017 at 6:26 AM

دريم هاوس June 16, 2019 at 6:45 AM

معلومات تفصيليه عن الصراصير ؟

افضل شركة مكافحة الصراصير بالرياض http://pages.today/theme2 تعد الصراصير من الحشرات المنزليه المقززة التى يخشاها الكثير من الأفراد ؛ولها أشكال وأحجام مختلفه ؛فالصراصير لديها ألوان سوداء أو البنى القامت ولديها شعيرات فى الوجه ؛وتتمكن من الوصول الى الأطعمة الخاصه بها عبر مجموعه من قرون الاستشعار التى تساعدها على الاستدلال على أماكن الأطعمة ؛فقط نحن شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض .

تعيش الصراصير فى الجحور أو المستعمرات والمسامات الواسعه التى تتواجد أسفل الحوائط وفى الركنيات ؛وتتمكن الصراصير من نشر الطفيليات والشوائب فى المكان نظرا لأنها تنتج روثا اسود اللون فى أماكن تواجدها ؛وتتغذى على كل ما يقابلها من بقايا أطعمة أو ورق وغيرها من الأمور الأخرى ؛وتخرج من تلك الجحور صيفا للبحث عن الأطعمة وتفضل التواجد فى الأماكن الرطبة التى تمتلأ بالمياه وحول الصنابير ؛ومن المعروف أن هناك أنواعا مختلف من الصراصير لا يمكن القضاء عليها بسهوله سواء الصراصير الألمانيه أو الاستراليه أو الأمريكية أيضا.… اقرأ المزيد

المصدر: افضل شركة مكافحة الصراصير بالرياض

افضل شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض http://pages.today/theme6 الشركة متخصصة في مكافحة الحشرات بطرق حديثة وجودة عالية بشكل لا يضر بأهل المنزل أو يضر الأطفال أو يؤثر عليهم
الشركة لديها كافة الحلول للقضاء على الحشرات ورشها وإبادتها إبادة تامة ,
تمتلك الشركة أيضا أفضل الكوادر البشرية الذين يوظفون جُلَ طاقتهم من أجل القضاء على الحشرات وذلك عن طريق الرش والأمصال التي تؤدي للقضاء عليها ,
لدينا الخبرة لذلك وبأقل الأسعار وأعلى مستوى جودة و أمان بإذن الله تعالى
اتصل بنا نصلك أينما كنت
نحن الأفضل في هذا المجال,
نحن جميعاً نعلم أن السر وراء إبادة الحشرات هي رش المبيدات لذا فكان أول اهتمامات الشركة أن تحرص على استخدام أفضل أنواع المبيدات الحشرية التي تجعلها من أفضل شركات رش مبيدات بالرياض، نظراً لما يملكه المبيد من فعالية قوية و إبادة فورية دون ان يلحق أي أضرار بصحة الموجودين في المنزل ولا يسبب لهم الإزعاج، و كما حرصت الشركة على أن توفر كل ذلك، وكان من ضمن اهتماماتهم أن تقدم خدماتها بأقل الأسعار لكي تناسب كافه فئات العملاء دون أن تسبب لهم أي ضغط مادي.
الرش يكون بأنواع مجربة وغير ضارة وآمنة على كل من يستخدمها معنا أنتم بأمان وصحتكم بأمان و لا داعي للقلق أو التفكير طويلا فإننا لسنا الوحيدون ولكننا المميزون… اقرأ المزيد

المصدر: شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض

دريم هاوس June 16, 2019 at 6:46 AM

افضل شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض http://great.social/theme8 شركة تنظيف بيوت بالرياض
سرعان ما تتعرض البيوت لانتشار الشوائب والأتربه والاتساخات الخطيرة ؛لذلك فكافه أجزاء البيوت تحتاج الى أعمال تنظيف دورية ومستمرة ؛فالبيوت من اثاث سواء مجالس أو غرف نوم أو سفر أو صالونات تحتاج الى أعمال تنظيف ؛كما تتمكن شركة تنظيف منازل من القيام بأعمال تنظيف البيوت ومكافحة الحشرات وتنظيف الخزانات وكشف تسربات الماء وغيرها من الأجزاء الأخرى ؛لذلك من الأن لا داعى للقلق بشأن أعمال تنظيف البيوت ؛نحن شركة تنظيف بالرياض التى تعتمد على فريق عمل متخصص لديه خبرات واسعه فى القيام بأعمال تنظيف البيوت .

تتراكم الأتربه والشوائب فى البيوت مسببة فى تعرض البيوت للعديد من الأمراض الخطيرة التى تؤثر سلبيا على الأفراد ؛فالبيوت تتعرض للنوافذ والشبابيك وغيرها من المنافذ التى سرعان ما تتعرض للعديد من الشوائب والعوالق الخطيرة ؛لذلك يتم الاعتماد على مجموعه من الألات والمعدات الحديثة وأجهزة البخار التى تساعد على التخلص من الشوائب والعوالق سريعا ؛فقط شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض تعتمد على أحدث وأفضل الأساليب... اقرأ المزيد https://sauditourguide.com/شركة-تنظيف-منازل-بالرياض/

المصدر: شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض