Friday, July 17, 2009

CSA: Week Two and Turnip Mash

I am so behind on my posts! And I was concerned that I wouldn't have much to post about when I returned to the States...haha.

Although I have more posts in the works from our trip to Germany and Austria, I'm going to try to alternate those pictures with posts about my adventures with my CSA. Above you'll see what we got this week: 2 pounds each of tomatoes and potatoes, 1/2 pound of salad greens, a bunch of basil, a cucumber, a green pepper, 3/4 pound of peas, and 1 pound of green beans.

So far I have made or plan to make the following: (I'll link them as I post about them.)

Pasta alla Puttanesca (Tomatoes and basil)
Arroz al Horno (Tomatoes and Potatoes)
Roasted Baby Potatoes
Fried Rice (Green Pepper and Peas)
Asian Green Beans

As you know, I received turnips last week. Up until this point, I had never bought or cooked a turnip, so this was a challenge. After sending a request out to the Twitterverse, I decided on mashed turnips. Since we didn't have quite enough turnips to make a side dish for three people, I added some potatoes to the mix. The turnips gave the mash an earthy, rooty, and at the same time, sweet flavor that I really enjoyed. I love mashed potatoes, but the turnips added just enough flavor to make the mash unique. I also saved the greens and made some old fashioned southern turnip greens--and although they were a little too salty, they were definitely worth saving and cooking down.

The mash was easy enough. I peeled and cut equal amounts of potatoes and turnips, boiled them in salted water until soft, and mashed them with a little cream, milk, butter, and salt and pepper. They turned out beautifully:

Subscribe to free updates from Mindy's Mouthful

Chef E July 17, 2009 at 10:12 PM

I love mashed turnips, and there is a place on LI that my hubby's step mom buys them for us when we visit...let's just say oh my goodness on the flavor! Glad you tried it...cannot wait for those up coming post!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction July 18, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Such beautiful produce from your CSA! Looking forward to more of your CSA-inspired recipes.

A World in a PAN July 19, 2009 at 2:22 AM

What a lovely summer basket! I will try your recipe with turnips.

Lori July 20, 2009 at 10:32 AM

That's a great use of turnips. I can eat them if they are combined with other flavors, but alone they are a little strong for me. They are beautiful though! A pretty picture.

My Carolina Kitchen July 20, 2009 at 11:14 AM

My husband would love this because he is very fond of turnips. I'll have to give this a try.
Sam

Daily Spud July 20, 2009 at 6:04 PM

Glad you enjoyed the mashed turnips - they do make a nice combination with the spuds!

ghada September 4, 2017 at 3:47 PM

ghada September 4, 2017 at 3:47 PM

Julia Jhonson February 23, 2018 at 1:12 PM

I have read you post, Great work you really did it very well. Keep working like this and sharing informative posts like
this one. keep it up. I'm waiting for your next post...
gta real estate

babel babel March 31, 2018 at 5:22 AM

Babel accounting and managing contracting companies Software is the first in the Middle East according to its spreading among contracting companies and clients in the Middle east and the world soon,,,,,,
I recommenda Babel Software
برنامج ادارة مصانع الخرسانة
برنامج ادارة مصانع الخرسانة الجاهزة
منظومة ادارة الانتاج
برنامج ادارة محطات الخرسانة
شركات الخرسانة الجاهزة

babel babel March 31, 2018 at 5:22 AM

Babel account & manag contracting companies
The program includes 12 specialized systems in contracting field and providing explanation library of 145 videos with total of 6 hours of explanation
and providing more than 200 questions in the field of contracting and group of essays which serve contracting companies
babelsoftco
برنامج ادارة العقارات
برنامج محاسبة مقاولات
برنامج ادارة شركات المقاولات
برنامج محاسبة شركات المقاولات
برنامج بابل للمقاولات
برنامج محاسبة مقاولات
المعالجه المحاسبية لضريبة القيمة المضافه .