Saturday, July 25, 2009

An Easy Weeknight Side: Asian Green Beans

I have a new go-to method to cooking fresh green beans. When I was in France, one of our students (who refused to eat vegetables) had a roommate who could cook green beans in a way that she loved. I was intrigued, so asked the roommate for her recipe. It turned out not to be so much a recipe with measurements, but more of a method, and my version of the recipe has become a regular in our household. It's an excellent side for almost any meal, not just those with Asian flavors, and may just convert the vegetable-challenged in your household!

Asian Green Beans

1 lb. fresh green beans, washed and trimmed
1 Tbl. olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic, sliced
1/2 inch fresh ginger, minced (optional)
Red pepper flakes, to taste
Soy Sauce, to taste
Water or white wine
Pepper, to taste

Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes and cook until softened, but not browned. Add the green beans and stir to coat with the oil. Add some soy sauce (start with just a little bit, maybe a tablespoon, and add more as needed for taste). Cook while stirring periodically, adding a little water or white wine if the soy sauce starts to evaporate. (You want to end up with a little bit of "sauce" at the end.) Cover the pan and stir occasionally until the green beans are cooked, but still have a crunch to them, about 5-10 minutes. Serve hot.

Subscribe to free updates from Mindy's Mouthful

My Carolina Kitchen July 25, 2009 at 3:37 PM

I love Asian flavors and this sounds fabulous. It's amazing what a little ginger and soy sauce can do.
Sam

Chow and Chatter July 25, 2009 at 6:20 PM

looks great I love cooking veggies this way as well

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction July 27, 2009 at 4:24 PM

These green beans sound wonderful - they remind me of one of my favorite Chinese buffet dishes!

A World in a PAN July 30, 2009 at 4:53 AM

I have a some green beans in my fridge .. well this is my lunch recipe. Thank you!

Barb, sfo July 28, 2010 at 6:55 PM

I found you through Google. This recipe was excellent! I'll definitely be making it again.

Nadia August 13, 2010 at 6:32 AM

This sounds delicious and very simple. Similar to a Chinese bean dish I used to eat in Hong Kong although in that recipe there was minced pork.

kamagra October 7, 2011 at 5:24 PM

These asian green beans tastes deliciou, what a great selection!

kamagra October 7, 2011 at 5:26 PM

These Asian green beans tastes delicious, what a great selection!

ghada September 4, 2017 at 3:40 PM