Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Zucchini for Zucchini Haters: a Tutorial

I am not a fan of "hiding" ingredients I don't like in recipes. I typically just won't eat it, and I think that we're doing out kids a disservice when we hide vegetables so that they'll eat them. I understand that there are just some picky kids out there, and that we need to do what we can to keep them healthy, but with my daughter, we just make her try foods she's picky about periodically in different styles. (Full disclosure here: my daughter will eat just about anything, so perhaps I'm just lucky.) Kids' tastes change, and I feel that I'm teaching my daughter to be adventurous with her food when I tell her what she's eating...

That being said, I have never liked cooked zucchini. So when I received three zucchini two weeks ago in my CSA box, I was a little put out. I really wanted to try to use everything (including the parts we don't normally eat) in my box, and part of the fun, I thought, was to try new fruits and vegetables in new preparations. So, I took my challenge again to the Twitterverse. The suggestions varied, but my favorites were FoodBat's Zukey Muffins and Jen from My Kitchen Addiction's suggestion of Zucchini Parmesan Hummus. Both recipes "hid" the zucchini, but I've come to terms with doing that every once in a while...especially if the results are this good!

The zucchini muffins were great--and my daughter became addicted to them! The hummus was good, but I think that the parmesan hid the lovely flavor of the roasted zucchini, so perhaps next time I'd leave the cheese out. And there will definitely be a next time for both of these recipes...

Subscribe to free updates from Mindy's Mouthful

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction July 22, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Glad I could help... Those muffins sound delicious, too! I think I will have to give them a try.

Chef E July 22, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Yum, zucchini hummus! I am going to have to try that...I am not a big fan of the vegetable, but I force myself to eat it once in a while, I add lemon to add a different flavor...love the post!

Keithgarrick July 22, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Great article I am going to have to try these.

watergirl July 23, 2009 at 6:05 PM

I am excited to use these recipes with zucchini from the garden. Thanks. p.s. welcome home

Chef Fresco July 24, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Those muffins sound delish! Especially w. the chocolate. I'm intrigued by the hummus too :)

Lori July 25, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Love the title of this post. Ha! So glad you had success. That hummus sounds very interesting. I'm going to have to try that one.

ghada September 4, 2017 at 3:44 PM

ghada September 4, 2017 at 3:44 PM

خدمات تنظيف بالمدينة المنورة November 11, 2017 at 4:53 AM

فرصة لسكان واهل المدينة المنورة الان بالمدينة المنورة شركة شراء اثاث مستعمل بالمدينة المنورة
متخصصون فى شراء جميع انواع اثاث وعفش المنازل المستعمل بالمدينة المنورة نشترى غرف النوم المستعملة
نشترى اطقم الكنب المستعملة والبطرمة والسجاد وشراء الاجهزة الكهربائية المستعملة شراء المطابخ
بافضل اسعار السوق شراء الاثاث الميتعمل بالمدينة المنورة اتصل بنا يصلك مندوبنا نقوم بتحميل الاثاث
المستعمل بايدى عمالنا وندفع لك ثمن اثاثك فى يدك بمجردالاتصال بنا

شراء الاثاث المستعمل بتبوك

شركة شراء اثاث مستعمل بالمنطقة الشرقية بالدمام والخبر
شراء الاثاث المستعمل بالدمام

شراء الاثاث المستعمل باالخبر

شراء الاثاث المستعمل بالدمام

babel babel April 2, 2018 at 10:49 AM

Babel account & manag contracting companies
The program includes 12 specialized systems in contracting field and providing explanation library of 145 videos with total of 6 hours of explanation
and providing more than 200 questions in the field of contracting and group of essays which serve contracting companies
babelsoftco
برنامج ادارة العقارات
برنامج محاسبة مقاولات
برنامج ادارة شركات المقاولات
برنامج محاسبة شركات المقاولات
برنامج بابل للمقاولات
برنامج محاسبة مقاولات
المعالجه المحاسبية لضريبة القيمة المضافه .

babel babel April 2, 2018 at 10:49 AM

Babel accounting and managing contracting companies Software is the first in the Middle East according to its spreading among contracting companies and clients in the Middle east and the world soon,,,,,,
I recommenda Babel Software