Monday, March 30, 2009

Balsamic Red Onion Salad

I am a salad lover, plain and simple. I almost always have a salad on the dinner table, and lately I've been trying out new salad combos because my husband gets tired of lettuce and tomato every night. (The truth is that I do too, but I'm sometimes just too lazy to do anything else...) The other day I realized that I hardly ever post anything about the salads I make, and now that summer is just around the corner, I need to limber up for prime salad season!

I came across this salad by Ina Garten a couple of years ago and try to make it as often as possible. It's very simple, but elegant, and has great flavor. My daughter will pick out the onions...and leave the lettuce on the plate! (I think I must have the strangest two year old out there--she loves onions in any shape or form.) The onions turn out sweet and have a little bit of a pickled taste which works nicely with the fresh shallot and lettuce.

I've adjusted the original recipe a little, but mostly in quantity. Ina's recipe calls for red leaf lettuce, but I find that too limp for a good salad, so I go for a heftier green leaf or romaine.

Balsamic Red Onion Salad
adapted from Ina Garten
Text-Only Version

1 large red onion, cut in half and sliced about 1/4 inch thick
balsamic vinegar
olive oil (about 1/4 cup + 1/3 cup)
salt
pepper
1 small shallot, minced
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/8 cup red wine vinegar
Green leaf or Romaine lettuce (enough to fill your salad bowl)

Place the sliced onions on a baking sheet and toss with a generous amount of balsamic vinegar and olive oil (about the same amount of each). Season generously with salt and pepper. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 12-15 minutes until the onions are softened and the vinegar has caramelized. Remove from oven and toss with another tablespoon or so of balsamic vinegar. (I try to get this done at least 15 minutes before I want to serve the salad to give the onions time to cool.)

For the dressing, whisk together the shallot, mustard, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. While whisking, add about 1/3 cup olive oil until emulsified. (You may need to add a little more olive oil--taste after about 1/3 of a cup and add more if needed.)

Add the onions and dressing to the lettuce and toss.

Chef E March 30, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Now do not be talking about that cutie of yours, lol, yes that is unusual, but it means her taste buds are more developed than normal for that age...not to get geeky about taste buds, but children have so many at birth it takes at least seven years for them to loose them so that they will eat different foods that are not simple, like mac and cheese and chicken nuggets and fries...sad but true...then we get old and loose most of them and want lots and lots of salt to taste food...Yikes!

Sarah Herman March 30, 2009 at 3:36 PM

My son loves onions also, my daughter won't touch them! I've made this before and it's very tastY!

Teanna March 30, 2009 at 4:10 PM

I hate raw red onions in salad and always want caramelized onions, so this recipe is JUST for me! I love that you let them caramelize in the oven for a bit. This looks delicious!

Dragon March 30, 2009 at 10:19 PM

This salad sounds amazing. I love the colours. Yum!

Justine March 31, 2009 at 5:03 PM

I love onions, so this sounds great

ghada September 5, 2017 at 11:01 AM

ghada September 5, 2017 at 11:02 AM

babel babel April 5, 2018 at 7:18 AM

Babel account & manag contracting companies
The program includes 12 specialized systems in contracting field and providing explanation library of 145 videos with total of 6 hours of explanation
and providing more than 200 questions in the field of contracting and group of essays which serve contracting companies
babelsoftco
برنامج ادارة العقارات
برنامج محاسبة مقاولات
برنامج ادارة شركات المقاولات
برنامج محاسبة شركات المقاولات
برنامج بابل للمقاولات
برنامج محاسبة مقاولات
المعالجه المحاسبية لضريبة القيمة المضافه .

babel babel April 5, 2018 at 7:18 AM

Babel accounting and managing contracting companies Software is the first in the Middle East according to its spreading among contracting companies and clients in the Middle east and the world soon,,,,,,
I recommenda Babel Software
برنامج ادارة مصانع الخرسانة
برنامج ادارة مصانع الخرسانة الجاهزة
منظومة ادارة الانتاج
برنامج ادارة محطات الخرسانة
شركات الخرسانة الجاهزة

sarah saad April 28, 2018 at 12:45 PM

http://transferefurniture.bcz.com/ شركة نقل عفش | http://transferefurniture.bcz.com/ شركة نقل اثاث بجدة | http://transferefurniture.bcz.com/ شركة نقل عفش بالرياض | http://transferefurniture.bcz.com/ شركة نقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة | http://transferefurniture.bcz.com/ شركة نقل عفش بالدمام
http://khairyayman.inube.com/blog/5015576// شركة نقل عفش بجدة