Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Berlin, City of...Burritos?

We visited the beautiful city of Berlin last weekend, and a friend (and former student) of ours who lives outside of the city knows how much I love my Mexican food. I haven't had any good Mexican food in eight long months because I've found it's just not worth it to try in Europe. The biggest problem is cheese--it's hard to find the right cheeses to go with Mexican food here, and Emmentaler just doesn't cut it. Even homemade Mexican is difficult; my mom brought me several cans of green enchilada sauce at Christmas, but when I made the enchiladas with Gouda, it just didn't taste right.

So back to Berlin...Katie told me about a place where you can get "real burritos," and so we tried it. And guess what? They were "real California burritos!" Woohoo! So, if you're ever in Berlin and are craving one of those good ol' gigantic burritos from home, go to D0lores on Rosa-Luxemburg Strasse near Alexanderplatz! (And make sure to try their "lemonades." That day they had lime/cinnamon and strawberry/tamarind lemonades. Mmmmm...)

My burrito had lime-flavored chicken, "Spanish" rice, pinto beans, real monterey jack cheese!, sour cream, guacamole, pico de gallo, and lettuce, all on a real flour tortilla...yum!

healthy ashley March 3, 2009 at 2:10 PM

That's interesting about good cheese for Mexican in Europe.. either way, your dish looks great! I love anything Mexican (talking abotu food here! ;)!

Lori March 3, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Good for you! Mexican is no fun in Brazil either. They try, but just can't do it. Like you, we just don't go for it anymore. It was so surprising when we first learned this. I mean, it is relatively close to Mexico. Ha, ha!

Mindy March 4, 2009 at 3:49 AM

I know...it's really weird about not being able to make a certain type of food here (or in Brazil). You'd think that I would be able to find something similar to monterey jack or queso fresco here in the land of cheese, but nope!

A World in a PAN March 4, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Miam, I'm sure it was as tasty as the picture shows!

~Dana March 5, 2009 at 1:08 AM

Mexican food is my favorite! I love everything fresh!

Shannon March 6, 2009 at 4:51 PM

That looks better (presentation-wise) than the cali burritos I get in San Diego! Touche Berlin, Touche!

Chef E March 16, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Me, I would find a 'tex-mex black market' some where! lol So I could have my ingredients, or a luggage full of spices and what ever needed :)

ghada September 6, 2017 at 7:42 PM