Saturday, April 11, 2009

French Cooking 101: Quiche Lorraine

When I first moved to France last July, one of my goals was to learn to cook some typical French dishes. I could already make a pretty good beef bourguignon, but I hadn't tried too many other typically French recipes. After I found out how easy a basic tarte could be, I decided to try a Quiche Lorraine. Turns out that it's not so difficult either. This has now become a regular in our meal rotation...

I like to serve it with a salad...it's a perfect refreshing and acidic accompaniment to the velvety quiche.

Quiche Lorraine

1 pâte brisée (I use premade, but I'm sure there's a good recipe to make it from scratch out there somewhere! Or you could probably use a premade pie crust.)
200 g / about 5 thick slices bacon, chopped
150 g / 1 cup ham, chopped
200 g / 1 1/2 cups grated Gruyere
4 eggs
40 cl / 1 2/3 cups heavy cream (A lighter cream would probably work here too...)
2 pinches of paprika
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Put the rolled out tart dough in an 11" tart pan. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.

In a sauce pan, boil the bacon pieces for one minute and then remove. In an non-stick frying pan, cook the bacon on medium heat for 5 minutes on medium heat. Remove them to a paper towel and set aside.

In a bowl, beat the eggs with the cream, the paprika, salt and pepper. Mix in the ham and bacon.

Put the egg mixture in the tart shell. Sprinkle with the cheese. Let it bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown on top.

This quiche is eaten warm or cold.

Chef E April 12, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Since I was out late last night, that sounds like a good thing to put in front of me right now...could you pour me a cup of tea too? Tea for two, lol...I love quiche and wish hubby would eat eggs...

Natalie April 12, 2009 at 12:39 PM

OH wow. That looks delicious! I have made quiche before but something about yours is so wonderful! I will make tonight with a few leftover ingredients I have in my fridge!

Thanks!!

A World in a PAN April 12, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Looks delicious. If it is you very recipe of Quiche Lorraine, I'd love to publish it in my website (check www.aworldinapan.com) under your name. Let me know!

Sarah Herman April 12, 2009 at 9:36 PM

I LOVE quiche, so good if made right. Yours looks delicious!

My Carolina Kitchen April 13, 2009 at 12:56 PM

I adore quiche. Yours looks terrific. I had a quiche the other day at our favorite restaurant and was disappointed that theirs wasn't a traditional crust. Thanks for sharing.
Sam

Chef E April 13, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Take it, I thought about it after I posted, that it reminded me of you!

Mindy April 16, 2009 at 7:59 AM

ChefE--The tea is on!

Natalie--Let me know how yours turned out!

Sam, Sarah, and JoiedeVivre--This is an oh-so-tasty version, but I have to admit that it's oh-so-not-very-good-for-you. ;-)

ghada September 5, 2017 at 9:56 AM