Saturday, April 18, 2009

Steak and Potato Salad: A Celebration of a Warm Day

One of my favorite foods out there is steak. I always say that I could easily become a vegetarian if it weren't for those lovely cuts of beef. (I guess that doesn't make me much of a vegetarian, then, does it?) We don't eat it very often because I won't eat just any steak--it has to be a good cut, which then leads to the issue of price. We just can't afford to eat it that often. But I do splurge every once in a while, and this week we did just that. I bought a couple of steaks (although I still don't know what the cuts are in French!) to celebrate the last warm and sunny day we were to have for a while. I usually marinate the steaks in some olive oil, salt and pepper for a couple of hours before cooking them, but this time I added some of the leftover spring onions and parsley from our potato salad to the mix. I then seared them in a very hot pan (just a couple of minutes on each side). The result was buttery with a slight bitterness of the onion--yum!

And thanks to Joie de Vivre, I have found a new go-to potato salad. I have a couple of other favorites, but they are time consuming, and depending on the season, a little on the pricey side. This little gem, however, is easy, bright, and light.

Summery Potato Salad with Cherry Tomatoes
adapted from Joie de Vivre's adaption of the Kids' Fun and Healthy Cookbook recipe (That's a lot of adaptations!)
Serves 2 people (with larger appetites) or 4 (with bird-sized appetites), and besides, don't you always want some potato salad leftovers???

1 lb. small white or red skinned potatoes, scrubbed and cut into large bite-sized pieces
2 green onions, finely chopped
8 cherry tomatoes, halved
3 Tbls. chopped parsley (or mint, or I would imagine any other herb you have on hand)
2 Tbls. extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbls. lemon juice
Salt and pepper

1. Boil the potatoes until just tender.

2. Let the potatoes cool and place them into a bowl. Add the chopped green onion, the chopped parsley, and the halved tomatoes.

3. Mix the extra-virgin olive oil and lemon juice together with a fork, drizzle mixture over the potato mixture, add salt and pepper to taste, and stir to coat everything. Let sit for a while, then serve.

My Carolina Kitchen April 18, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Mindy, that's a great looking salad. I'm so glad it has finally gotten warm here in the mountains. It's about time. I enjoy Joie de Vivre's blog also. I'll be visiting you again soon too.
Sam

Mindy April 18, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Sam--Thanks for stopping by! I miss North Carolina in the spring (used to live in Chapel Hill...)

Laura--The size is deceiving. Our family split the two steaks, and they were very, very thin. ;-) But, yes, when I do get a steak, I typically go a little bigger. Hey, I don't get them that often!

Chef E April 18, 2009 at 4:48 PM

I think we are all bringing the sunshine in with our summery menus! Potatoes were on my list yesterday to get out of my system. I am not eating as much, but I would never say no to these with cherry tomatoes in them!

I love you, Joie, and Sam!

Sat Meher April 18, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Ha ha that makes you a flexitarian :) Great potato recipe, will cook that!

Lori April 19, 2009 at 3:15 PM

I'm kind of like you with steak. I can enjoy it if it is a really good (i.e. expensive) cut, but if not, I can pass. I will say that I do love the flat seared steaks we get at French restaurants. They are one of the best kinds of steak for me. Yours looks lovely! I'm certainly not hurting for red meat right now being in Brazil. Ha! However, steak and tater salad sounds great!

Dragon April 19, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Now this is my kind of salad. :)

Joie de vivre April 19, 2009 at 11:26 PM

I'm so glad you liked the potato salad! I thought it was light and bright too (good descriptors!)

Sarah Herman April 20, 2009 at 10:50 PM

What a lovely warm weather dinner, looks delicious!

Mindy April 21, 2009 at 4:25 AM

ChefE--I absolutely love potato salad, so potatoes never quite get out of my system...

Sat Meher--I love that! I'm going to refer to myself as a flexitarian from now on!

Lori--I salivate thinking of the steak you get in Brazil!

Dragon and Sarah--Thanks...it was pretty good, if I do say so myself. ;-)

Joie--Thanks for "testing" it out for the rest of us to enjoy!

Esi April 21, 2009 at 7:28 PM

I agree, it can definitely be nice to splurge on a nice cut of meat once in a while.

Karen September 1, 2016 at 2:46 AM

Adidas produce il nuovo Chelsea 16-17 casa, lontano e kit terzo per l’ultima volta dopo che il contratto che hanno deciso di tagliare il loro kit di sponsorizzazione a lungo termine sul 11 maggio Chelsea camicia sponsor Yokohama è di nuovo sulle nuove Chelsea 2016-17 camicie .maglie calcio,
poco prezzo Maglia Deportivo a poco prezzo shop
Maglia real madrid a poco prezzo 2017

Karen September 1, 2016 at 2:46 AM

Our Bengals House Flag hangs vertically and provides a top sleeve for insertion of your flagpole. The Bengals House Flag measures 28x42 inches, is constructed of 2-ply polyester, and both sides are dye sublimated with the NFL team logo as shown.The house flag for Bengals has a liner sewn between its two polyester sides, therefore, this flag is viewable and readable correctly on both sides.Hang your Bengals House Flag with our banner pole or fly it with our 5' wood flagpole and adjustable flag bracket.
nfl house divided flags