Monday, April 27, 2009

Monday Mouthful--Flammekueche Roundup and Next Week's Challenge

This week's Monday Mouthful challenge was Flammekueche, and I was pleasantly surprised at how it turned out. I was a little fearful because although the recipe came from a trustworthy source, I had never made it before. I decided to go the traditional route because 1) I like traditional Flammekueche and 2) I forgot to get the fruit to make the dessert one! Good thing, though that I forgot the fruit because the entire two "pies" were eaten up at dinner. I did make one minor change and used red onions instead of the typical yellow onions--because I used up all the yellow ones the night before! I think I prefer yellow onions, but this was still tasty and very close to what I've had in restaurants here in Strasbourg. The only changes I'd make would be to roll out the crust a little more and season the crème fraiche a little more heavily for added flavor. If you weren't able to participate, I encourage you to try this...it's a great and easy alternative to pizza and would make some fabulous hors d'oeuvres.

Thanks to the other bloggers who participated this week! Please take a look at their takes on the traditional Alsatian dish--their submissions all had me drooling!

The Daily Spud--True to form, The Daily Spud made a lovely potato Flammekueche, which elicited an excited, "Wow! That looks good!" from my husband.

ChefE at CookAppeal--ChefE, as always, took the recipe a couple of steps further and added some beer to the crust and asparagus to both her "pie" and to her Flammekueche calzones...yummm!

And ChefE has announced next week's French challenge...Champignons de Paris! This challenge will be left open to your imagination, so we're looking for dishes (hopefully French ones!) that use mushrooms or are served with a mushroom sauce. If you haven't had a chance to join us yet, please feel free to jump in whenever! As always, if you participate, please email your link to me at mindysmouthful(at)gmail(dot)com or ChefE at elizabeth(at)cookappeal(dot)com! We'll post our results, your links, and the next challenge on Monday.

Chef E April 27, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Darling yours definitely looks better than mine...next week I am posting early! Busy day at work for me today...

Beryl April 28, 2009 at 9:49 AM

I have never heard of flammekueche- looks delicious. It's so cool that you are blogging from France. About the mini sized cheesecakes, I baked them for about half the time. I always halve recipes to cut down on the amount of desserts in my house so I have to keep checking on them to make sure I don't overbake. Good luck with your blog!

Chef E April 28, 2009 at 10:05 AM

I loved the taste of the creme, but mine was a little runny this time. I could imagine though how it all comes together in flavor and now know why you love it...Thanks for sharing this!

Daily Spud April 29, 2009 at 5:24 AM

That looks delicious Mindy. I had the opposite problem with the onions to you - I actually wanted to use red onions in mine but all I had was yellow onions - though I did like how it turned out with the yellow onions in the end :)

ghada September 5, 2017 at 8:50 AM

ghada September 5, 2017 at 8:51 AM

babel babel March 27, 2018 at 7:18 AM

Babel account & manag contracting companies
The program includes 12 specialized systems in contracting field and providing explanation library of 145 videos with total of 6 hours of explanation
and providing more than 200 questions in the field of contracting and group of essays which serve contracting companies
babelsoftco
برنامج ادارة العقارات
برنامج محاسبة مقاولات
برنامج ادارة شركات المقاولات
برنامج محاسبة شركات المقاولات
برنامج بابل للمقاولات
برنامج محاسبة مقاولات
المعالجه المحاسبية لضريبة القيمة المضافه .

babel babel March 27, 2018 at 7:18 AM

Babel accounting and managing contracting companies Software is the first in the Middle East according to its spreading among contracting companies and clients in the Middle east and the world soon,,,,,,
I recommenda Babel Software