Monday, August 22, 2011

Buttermilk Herb Dressing and Dip

We eat a lot of salad in my family.  I think it's because I grew up with a salad (usually pretty simple) with almost every dinner.  We always ate the salad with our favorite bottled dressings--Ranch, Italian, Bleu Cheese all graced our table.  And although I'm okay with bottled salad dressing every once in a while, I just have a hard time buying them with all of that extra nonsense put into processed food these days.  I absolutely love Ranch dressing, but rarely eat it at home, instead settling for quick homemade vinaigrettes.  Now, don't get me wrong--I love a great honey mustard dressing made at home, but sometimes you just need a creamy Ranch-style dressing.

I came across this recipe at a friend's house.  She served a salad with this dressing on the side, and we all loved it.  I asked for the recipe, and she provided.  I adapted it a little for what I had in the house and to make it more herby, but it really is a keeper!  We ate some of it the first night it was made, and it was good, but wait a day, and the dressing will thicken up and all of the flavors will meld into a "Ranch dressing" that beats the bottle hands-down.

Buttermilk Herb Dressing and Dip

1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbl red onion, soaked in cold water for about 10 minutes and finely minced (or 1 large shallot)
1/2-3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp curry powder
1 Tbl fresh basil, minced
1 Tbl fresh thyme, minced
1 Tbl fresh dill, minced

Place all ingredients in a jar or other tall container with a lid and shake until mixed completely.  Store in the refrigerator for a few hours and up to three days.  Taste for salt before using.

Subscribe to free updates from The World in My Kitchen

Cheryl and Adam @ pictureperfectmeals.com August 22, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Homemade dressings are so much better than anything we have ever bought in the store, all that chemistry in the mass produced brands alter the taste so much! This is a nice Ranch, thanks!

Peggy August 23, 2011 at 9:45 PM

I just love the picture for this!

I've made my own buttermilk ranch dressing a couple of times, and can you believe that I never have put it on a salad? Always just pork chops!

Definitely going to have to give this one a go, and actually put it on some greens =)

Katie @ This Chick Cooks August 24, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Yum! That homemade ranch looks delicious!

Rita August 27, 2011 at 6:10 AM

Love the name of your blog; buttermilk in a dressig is fantastic.
Rita

Katherine Martinelli November 6, 2011 at 5:38 AM

Yum, this dressing looks right up my alley! I am bookmarking it. Thanks so much for linking up at my salad blog hop!

Eomniscient December 2, 2011 at 1:41 AM

Thanks for an amazing recipe, love your blog
Low Fat Salad Recipes

Short cute love quotes February 27, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Very good site. Lovely info. I invite to visit my page:Short cute love quotes

bibi May 3, 2015 at 2:56 AM

The advanced ambit of designs for Marc Jacobs's handbags ensures that women get to accept what they wish after necessarily analytic abroad in addition http://www.apollosound.co.uk store. This saves time and even money back you may just charge to boutique as abounding handbags to accouterment altered occasions area charge be.Marc Jacobs considers that handbags are adopted by abounding women as fashionable items, therefore, they are advised with affected appearances in shape, blush and sizes. Previously, Marc Jacobs's handbags were mostly fabricated as ample sized outfits, but these canicule the architect has modeled the designs to fit the accepted needs. They are now fabricated in abate sizes and bigger items for women who wish to appear occasions alienated accustomed abundant loads.No agnosticism about the breitling replica actuality that Marc Jacobs's backpack has spent time to aftermath abundant handbags that users can accept to bout added outfits. If because affairs a Marc Jacobs's handbag, the chump does not charge to affliction abundant about it that she may never get what blush and appearance to bout with her new cloths. All what is appropriate is to accomplish a alternative from the range, either if you wish to chanel replica bout your new cloths with the Marc Jacobs's backpack in affiliation to color, blazon of textile, feel or just the shape.Although Vuitton is associated with the acceptance of Marc Jacobs's handbags, it is bright that such acceptance has appear because of the affected plan of the artist to gucci replica appear up with items that can accouterment as abounding occasions.Many designers attempt authoritative a individual bag that can fit as abounding occasions as possible, and therefore, leave the chump with the accountability to affairs as abounding types of handbags as possible. This is time arresting and aswell makes them absorb as abundant money. This is not the case with Marc Jacobs designs. Some accoutrements can fit as abounding occasions.The prada belts columnist of this commodity has a amusement in autograph abounding online writing about lifestyle, abnormally the women-related capacity that can be begin in her website. There, you can acquisition abundant appearance artist handbags that can be advised as your option, such as Jimmy Choo handbags, Loewe handbags and replica Bally handbags etc.

ghada September 1, 2017 at 4:10 PM

ghada September 1, 2017 at 4:10 PM

Cheap Flights August 22, 2018 at 3:33 AM
This comment has been removed by the author.
michael kors September 19, 2018 at 9:11 PM

Designer Exposure es un buen lugar para comprar su Bolsos Michael Kors original.
The Woven Tote es también una selección impresionante en el Bolsos Michael Kors Baratos.
Bolso de alta calidad que debe contemplar absolutamente un Bolsos Michael Kors Outlet.
Du kommer att upptäcka en handfull detaljer som du kan förvänta dig att komma över på en vanlig Michael Kors Rea.
Du kan hitta ett antal platser som ger Väska Michael Kors.
Sortimentet är fantastiskt för alla som letar efter en MK Väska.
Håll dina ögon öppna för den här säsongens val som kommer att presenteras under bara några månader och det kommer utan tvekan att bli spektakulärt.

Digital Marketing Services December 26, 2018 at 12:11 AM

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog.
Digital Marketing Services
Digital Marketing Company
SEO Services Company
Peptide Synthesis
Custom Peptide Synthesis

Nadeem Malik January 28, 2019 at 6:42 AM

hello sir,
thanks for giving that type of information. Really enjoyed this blog post. Really looking forward to reading more. Much obliged.
digital marketing company in delhi

Mobile app development company in toronto February 2, 2019 at 12:25 AM

Very Nice Article keep it up...! Thanks for sharing this amazing information with us...! keep sharing

Akash Thakur February 8, 2019 at 5:11 AM

Thanks for giving great kind of information. So useful and practical for me. Thanks for your excellent blog, nice work keep it up thanks for sharing the knowledge.
Best Interior Designer in Noida

Vikash Kumar February 11, 2019 at 6:00 AM

nice work keep it up thanks for sharing the knowledge.Thanks for sharing this type of information, it is so useful.
Epoxy Grout manufacturer

IELTS Coaching in Dwarka March 6, 2019 at 3:26 AM
This comment has been removed by the author.
mkbags March 12, 2019 at 4:06 AM

A Washington Post review of court records, testimony by Trump and other accounts that have been out of the public eye for decades offers insights into his rise. He was never accused of illegality, and observers of the time say that working with the mob related figures and politicos came with the territory. Trump declined repeated requests to comment..

I feel that these are important questions/ issues to raise, specially if the policy will change. I have birthday boy shirt heard all sorts of opinions and possible ideas, including an implied consent in case of a death as a result of an automobile accident. I am not pride shirts an organ donor: medicine has changed dramatically over the years and I think that the definition of brain dead is not yet on all codes.

Joon April 28, 2019 at 5:07 AM

The Montgomery County Parents Teachers Organization (PTO) along with local School Board members and several County Commissioners will present evidence, petitions and signed affidavits. We all agreed that this possible shelter would not only pose a safety risk to the students of Byrns Darden Elementary School, but would cause irreparable damage to the community as a whole. At Patriot Park on Fort Campbell Blvd., in Clarksville.

With feet together, a 5 to 10 lb weight in each hand, hinge forward at hips with flat back; extend arms directly beneath shoulders. Step out to the right while drawing right elbow wide and back so dumbbell comes alongside solar eclipse shirts chest, then lower dumbbell. family t shirts Step left foot next to right daddy shirt and repeat with left arm.