Monday, August 22, 2011

Buttermilk Herb Dressing and Dip

We eat a lot of salad in my family.  I think it's because I grew up with a salad (usually pretty simple) with almost every dinner.  We always ate the salad with our favorite bottled dressings--Ranch, Italian, Bleu Cheese all graced our table.  And although I'm okay with bottled salad dressing every once in a while, I just have a hard time buying them with all of that extra nonsense put into processed food these days.  I absolutely love Ranch dressing, but rarely eat it at home, instead settling for quick homemade vinaigrettes.  Now, don't get me wrong--I love a great honey mustard dressing made at home, but sometimes you just need a creamy Ranch-style dressing.

I came across this recipe at a friend's house.  She served a salad with this dressing on the side, and we all loved it.  I asked for the recipe, and she provided.  I adapted it a little for what I had in the house and to make it more herby, but it really is a keeper!  We ate some of it the first night it was made, and it was good, but wait a day, and the dressing will thicken up and all of the flavors will meld into a "Ranch dressing" that beats the bottle hands-down.

Buttermilk Herb Dressing and Dip

1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbl red onion, soaked in cold water for about 10 minutes and finely minced (or 1 large shallot)
1/2-3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp curry powder
1 Tbl fresh basil, minced
1 Tbl fresh thyme, minced
1 Tbl fresh dill, minced

Place all ingredients in a jar or other tall container with a lid and shake until mixed completely.  Store in the refrigerator for a few hours and up to three days.  Taste for salt before using.

Subscribe to free updates from The World in My Kitchen

Cheryl and Adam @ pictureperfectmeals.com August 22, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Homemade dressings are so much better than anything we have ever bought in the store, all that chemistry in the mass produced brands alter the taste so much! This is a nice Ranch, thanks!

Peggy August 23, 2011 at 9:45 PM

I just love the picture for this!

I've made my own buttermilk ranch dressing a couple of times, and can you believe that I never have put it on a salad? Always just pork chops!

Definitely going to have to give this one a go, and actually put it on some greens =)

Katie @ This Chick Cooks August 24, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Yum! That homemade ranch looks delicious!

Rita August 27, 2011 at 6:10 AM

Love the name of your blog; buttermilk in a dressig is fantastic.
Rita

Katherine Martinelli November 6, 2011 at 5:38 AM

Yum, this dressing looks right up my alley! I am bookmarking it. Thanks so much for linking up at my salad blog hop!

Eomniscient December 2, 2011 at 1:41 AM

Thanks for an amazing recipe, love your blog
Low Fat Salad Recipes

Short cute love quotes February 27, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Very good site. Lovely info. I invite to visit my page:Short cute love quotes

bibi May 3, 2015 at 2:56 AM

The advanced ambit of designs for Marc Jacobs's handbags ensures that women get to accept what they wish after necessarily analytic abroad in addition http://www.apollosound.co.uk store. This saves time and even money back you may just charge to boutique as abounding handbags to accouterment altered occasions area charge be.Marc Jacobs considers that handbags are adopted by abounding women as fashionable items, therefore, they are advised with affected appearances in shape, blush and sizes. Previously, Marc Jacobs's handbags were mostly fabricated as ample sized outfits, but these canicule the architect has modeled the designs to fit the accepted needs. They are now fabricated in abate sizes and bigger items for women who wish to appear occasions alienated accustomed abundant loads.No agnosticism about the breitling replica actuality that Marc Jacobs's backpack has spent time to aftermath abundant handbags that users can accept to bout added outfits. If because affairs a Marc Jacobs's handbag, the chump does not charge to affliction abundant about it that she may never get what blush and appearance to bout with her new cloths. All what is appropriate is to accomplish a alternative from the range, either if you wish to chanel replica bout your new cloths with the Marc Jacobs's backpack in affiliation to color, blazon of textile, feel or just the shape.Although Vuitton is associated with the acceptance of Marc Jacobs's handbags, it is bright that such acceptance has appear because of the affected plan of the artist to gucci replica appear up with items that can accouterment as abounding occasions.Many designers attempt authoritative a individual bag that can fit as abounding occasions as possible, and therefore, leave the chump with the accountability to affairs as abounding types of handbags as possible. This is time arresting and aswell makes them absorb as abundant money. This is not the case with Marc Jacobs designs. Some accoutrements can fit as abounding occasions.The prada belts columnist of this commodity has a amusement in autograph abounding online writing about lifestyle, abnormally the women-related capacity that can be begin in her website. There, you can acquisition abundant appearance artist handbags that can be advised as your option, such as Jimmy Choo handbags, Loewe handbags and replica Bally handbags etc.