Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Fried Green Tomato BLT with Pimento Cheese

I mentioned yesterday when I posted about my foray into Pimento Cheese that I actually made it for something specific.  Well, here it is--the BEST sandwich in the world!  (Seriously, I'm addicted to these things, and I'm not even really a sandwich person.)  I had a version of this at The Grove Park Inn in Asheville, North Carolina last fall, and have been dreaming of it ever since.  A couple of restaurants in my small town started serving a Fried Green Tomato BLT, but they just put flavored mayo on it.  I was really craving the decadence of the pimento cheese, so when I ran across some green tomatoes at a co-op nearby, I bought some to make this delicious sandwich.

The tomatoes are luscious fried up in cornmeal.  (I used Forks, Knives & Spades' recipe, and I wouldn't change a thing for this sandwich.)  Strangely, green tomatoes turn all creamy and smooth when fried.  Add the crunch and saltiness of the bacon with the crispness of the lettuce and the richness of the pimento cheese, and I think you have the best southern sandwich out there!

Fried Green Tomato BLT with Pimento Cheese
Makes 4 sandwiches

8 slices rustic bread, lightly toasted
2 green tomatoes, fried according to this recipe (or your own)
12-16 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and set aside to drain on a paper towel
1 batch pimento cheese
4 big leaves of romaine (or other crunchy) lettuce

Spread a thick layer of pimento cheese on one slice of bread for each sandwich.  Layer the bacon, two tomato slices each and the lettuce on top of the pimento cheese.  Top with the second slice of bread.  Best served when the tomatoes are warm and fresh from the frying pan.  Enjoy!

Subscribe to free updates from The World in My Kitchen

Kathy - Panini Happy August 16, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Oh my goodness, my sister and I were just dreaming about a sandwich like this last weekend! It sounds so incredible. All right, Mindy - now I'm definitely making this one happen! :-)

Carrie August 16, 2011 at 11:50 AM

I adore both fried green tomatoes and pimento cheese. This pretty much looks like my ideal sandwich!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks August 16, 2011 at 2:09 PM

That sandwich looks so good! Yum! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog :) I'm a fellow Kentucky blogger :)

Jes August 16, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Yowzers, this looks fabulous!!!

Shannon Marie September 4, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Wow, woman, you've done it. How incredibly delicious. Fried green tomatoes on a BLT?! Can we say Holy Heaven!!! I can't wait to make this whole yummy sandwich.

SkinnyMommy July 30, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Oh my gosh-YUMMMM! This looks amazing.

Anonymous,  May 14, 2014 at 5:02 AM

Many people are engaged pertaining to electricity preservation lately when heating up petrol fake cartier watches maximize plus eco-friendly vigor reaches be a little more everywhere. Typically finding an electricity method plus finding out how to help you save vigor is extremely baffling. Luckily, you can find straightforward carry out straight away of saving electricity plus capital plus prevent your dwelling relaxed. Keep reading for quite a few main guidelines around vigor preservation for your personal chanel replica. Make sure you complience seal out of every destinations which will allow for interesting surroundings to receive in the household and/or heat to flee. Consists of surroundings air leaks all over cable connections plus piping this enter into a person's household in combination with these underhanded culprits just like lamps. Weather-strip all over doors and windows. Fitting weather windows 7 through a person's already present windows 7 is definitely chanel replica. Also, it is advisable to insulate plus complience seal all over pull-down stairways to the experts plus insulate a experts home, on its own. In case you have a strong amenable fire source, make sure you keep flue near whether it is never utilised plus site your fire source insure covering the front side of your fake rolex to circumvent freezing surroundings out of decreasing a person's flue within the home. Keep in mind shoot destinations will be awesome to observe, having said that they just do not seriously give powerful heating, hence apply a person's hearth often if perhaps during cartier replica. Upgrading a person's fire source which includes a wood-burning and also pellet wood stove may possibly supply you an effective method of obtaining various heating.

josi josisonali June 4, 2015 at 4:21 AM

Thanks for more information best company for Top3th.co.in Packers and Movers India provide moving services.
Packers and Movers Navi Mumbai
Packers and Movers Thane
Packers and Movers in Navi Mumbai
Packers and Movers in Thane

Khasiat Lidah Buaya Untuk Keloid Di Kulit Tubuh June 9, 2016 at 2:02 AM

Look pretty indeed be a desire for anyone, male or female. Here I will give you tips on how to keep the skin to stay beautiful and normal.

Khasiat Lidah Buaya Untuk Keloid Di Kulit Tubuh

Obat Menghilangkan Keloid Dengan Cepat Dan Aman

Jason June 14, 2016 at 11:32 AM

Hi,
The foods are looked very tasty and yummy. Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe. I like to eat any food like sandwich.

Indian Girls July 8, 2016 at 5:15 AM
This comment has been removed by the author.
Krity Jain July 26, 2016 at 2:51 AM

If you are looking for packers and movers in Greater Noida, then shifting wale is the best moving service provider.
Packers and Movers in Greater Noida
Movers & Packers in Greater Noida

Manoj Kumar August 16, 2016 at 5:06 AM
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrew Son September 11, 2016 at 3:32 AM

Excellent post!!PHP is abbreviated as Hypertext Preprocessor. It is server side scripting language used for web development.PHP was actually created by Rasmus Lerdorf.PHP code is processed by php interpreter as modules or Common Gateway Interface (CGI). It is also executed by Command Line Interface (CLI).Thank you..!!
Regards,
PHP Training in Chennai | PHP Course in Chennai

Jhon Mick October 25, 2016 at 8:38 AM

Spicy post!!My stomach expecting its dinner.Thanks for sharing your delicious food.

Sagor Nath November 16, 2016 at 1:43 PM

St. Hopkins is the best MBA college in Bangalore with international placements.

This MBA college provide some of special offers :

St Hopkins mba college Bangalore is the only college to provide 2 international trips ,

St.Hopkins college is the only mba college in Bangalore to send students on international internships .

St.Hopkins college give 100% placement guarantee to students with a minimum salary of 3 lacs per annum as management trainee .

As students you can earn 3 lacs per annum while studying your mba at st.hopkins college through internship .

At St.Hopkins MBA college you complete mba with 1 year of work experience and also recover fees before passing out .

MBA colleges with international placements

Manoj Kumar November 25, 2016 at 11:38 PM

If you are looking for Java summer training in NCR, ITSWS is one of the best company to provide you high class training on live projects. Where you can learn live experience.
Java Summer Training in Noida

Krity Jain December 6, 2016 at 1:07 AM

If you want to hire packers and movers in Chhattisgarh, you just need to check out shiftingwale.com to get the best service at very affordable price. To contact us just dial -> 91 9212 274 267
packers and movers in chhattisgar

Sanjay PrecisionInd December 6, 2016 at 1:15 AM

There are a lot of companies which provide VMC Machines Parts. If you really want to get the best VMC Machines Parts at very affordable prices. To contact us you just need to dial-->09810177414
VMC Turning Component Manufacturers

Riya Sharma December 7, 2016 at 6:22 AM

MCA institute in Ghaziabad
If you are looking for best college in Ghaziabad for MCA, IPEM is the best one

Sanjay PrecisionInd December 9, 2016 at 6:27 AM

If you are looking for Precision Turned Parts manufacturer to buy Precision Turned Parts, Sanjaypersion is one of the best Provider.

Sunaya Rana December 10, 2016 at 6:14 AM

Find the top packing and moving industry at Dealkare.
Packers and movers in vaishali

Sarkari Jobs December 10, 2016 at 6:29 AM

Get latest updates about government exams at FindSarkariJobs.
Civil Services Exam Schedule 2017

Krity Jain December 14, 2016 at 1:59 AM

If you want to hire packers and movers in Manipur, you just need to check out shiftingwale.com to get the best service at very good price.

Sanjay PrecisionInd February 3, 2017 at 6:53 AM

If you are looking for CNC Turned Parts manufacturer, you had better to check out SanjayPrecisionind.com to get the best result.

kkl February 11, 2017 at 11:40 AM

India's finest decorative arts for luxury home furniture and interiors. Our collection is custom created for you by our experts. we have a tendency to bring the world's best to our doorstep. welfurn is leading Interior design company that gives exquisite styles excellence in producing and Quality standards. will give door-step delivery and can complete the installation at your home bangalore interior designers

Manoj Kumar February 21, 2017 at 5:05 AM

Get The Best Java Training Institute in Noida at very affordable price on live projects with ITSWS COMPANY.

new gen March 20, 2017 at 3:32 PM

India's finest decorative arts for luxury home furniture and interiors. Our collection is custom created for you by our experts. we have a tendency to bring the world's best to our doorstep. welfurn is leading Interior design company that gives exquisite styles excellence in producing and Quality standards. will give door-step delivery and can complete the installation at your home modular kitchen designs bangalore

Trucking Cube April 7, 2017 at 2:09 AM

If you are looking for box truck rentals, then there is only one company. Which can provide you the best box truck rental service. To contact us just dial - 8287 27 8287 or visit our website: http://www.truckingcube.com

Packers and movers bangalore April 7, 2017 at 3:29 AM

Packers-and-movers-bangalore.in provides all the type of #moving solutions, no matter where you want to shift into the city or shift another city or another country ..
Packers And Movers Bangalore Charges

Packers Movers Gurgaon April 10, 2017 at 1:37 AM

I must be thankful for sharing your ideas.Thank you for the good writeup.its a brellint job.please visit here for more detail:
Packers And Movers Gurgaon
Packers And Movers In Gurgaon charges

Packers Movers Gurgaon April 10, 2017 at 1:38 AM

We Provide Best Packers And Movers Gurgaon List for Get Free Best Quotes, Compare Charges,
Save Money And Time, Household Shifting Services @ http://packers-and-movers-gurgaon.in/
Packers And Movers Bangalore to hyderabad

Trucking Cube April 13, 2017 at 3:27 AM

Are you looking for moving truck for rent? if yes, then There is only the best, is Truckingcube.

Vijay Sinha April 23, 2017 at 6:09 AM

Amazing!!! I liked this website sooo much it's really awesome I liked your creativity your way.I have also gone through your other posts too and they are also very much appreciate able and I have got some sweet comments for them also now I'm just waiting for your next update to come as I like all your other posts... well I have also made an article hope you go through it Raksha Bandhan, Rakhi ,