Thursday, August 18, 2011

CSA Recap

This week we're starting to see squash in our CSA share.  My family's not a big fan of squash (mostly a texture thing), so if you have any suggestions on different ways to prepare squash, please let me know!  :-)

We received the following this week:
  • Heirloom tomatoes
  • Hot house tomatoes
  • Grape tomatoes
  • Pattypan squash
  • Sweet peppers
  • Potatoes
I just love the purple peppers and am trying to find something fun to do with it.  Any suggestions are welcome!

Subscribe to free updates from The World in My Kitchen

Danielle August 18, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Squash is pretty easy to disguise in cooking if you shred it or even puree it. It lends a nice moisture to baked goods, such as cornbread, quick breads, or muffins. Those would be my suggestions if you don't care for the texture.

Jes August 18, 2011 at 1:06 PM

The purple peppers are SO lovely. I made a Summer Squash pasta earlier this week that was tasty. Squash can have an odd texture (kind of squeaky almost on your teeth - like a cheese curd!). I'm posting the recipe on my blog later today, but I basically cooked it down with some butter, chives and basil. Then added into the pasta and sauce. I've found if you cook it down long enough in a sauce pan it gets nice and soft and squishy. :)

Emily of The Best of this Life August 18, 2011 at 4:14 PM

I have to agree with Danielle on this one - if you don't like the texture, using it in baked goods can be a super way to eat it up! I don't mind it at all, especially when it's baked & roasted. Here's what I ended up doing:

The honey glaze softens its texture and the grilling gives it a sweet bbq taste. yum!

xo Emily Lynne

Mindy August 18, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I think it's going to have to be the baking route. It's the squishy texture that cooked squash has that none of us likes. :-(

Peggy August 19, 2011 at 10:32 AM

We just got a butternut squash this week - which I was surprised to see so early! Always a good thing to puree and make into a lovely soup =)

And I love those purple peppers! We kept it simple and just sauteed them with some onions for fish tacos

concrete August 23, 2011 at 12:50 AM

it looks like a plastic .. the purple pepper is very cute !

Sunaya Rana December 13, 2016 at 2:05 AM
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarkari Jobs December 13, 2016 at 2:25 AM
This comment has been removed by the author.