Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Berry Galette Experiment

My sister-in-law and her friend are visiting for the next week and a half, and since they arrived at the airport at about dinner time, I made a quiche lorraine earlier in the day and served that with a simple salad. I decided that we needed a dessert as well, and since I really love the frozen berry mix here (which includes what I think are currants), I decided to try a mixed berry galette with a chocolate sauce to drizzle over it.

In theory, this should have been a hole-in-one. I added some sugar and a little cornstarch (to help thicken the juices) and brushed an egg wash onto the folded edges and then sprinkled it with vanilla sugar. After 45 minutes at 350 degrees F, it looked beautiful. I let it rest for about 10 minutes to cool down a little and hopefully thicken up.

But I forgot to put in some sort of cookie layer at the bottom to soak up some of the juices. The flavor was tart and berry-licious, but the middle of the crust was soggy, and juices ran everywhere.

As the juices flowed around the (luckily) rimmed baking sheet, it reminded me a little of blood...which is okay for a Twilight theme party, but not necessarily for everyday entertaining!

So I'm still working on this recipe and will try a couple of things the next time around. The first will be to let the fruit defrost and drain some of the excess juices. The next will be to use a little more cornstarch. And finally, I'll have to find a cookie that might pair well with mixed berries to crush and place as the first layer in the galette to soak up the juices I didn't catch the first time around. Oh well, at least it tasted good!

Subscribe to free updates from Mindy's Mouthful

A World in a PAN May 23, 2009 at 6:06 PM

What a successful experiment! Congratulations! Will get red berries at Santa MOnica market next wednesday to try it!

Dragon May 23, 2009 at 8:47 PM

I does look a little like blood. :) I'm sure you'll have this recipe perfected in no time.

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com May 23, 2009 at 8:57 PM

I have that same issue when I make pies... You'll have to let us know how round 2 goes!

Sarah May 24, 2009 at 8:51 AM

I make this quite frequently! Your right, I macerate the berries in sugar. Then drain off the extra juice. Then toss with sugar and flour, it still runs but not as bad!

Amy I. May 26, 2009 at 3:44 AM

A galette has been on my radar to try this summer. Keep us posted on how your improvements go, but the first one looked like it at least tasted delicious despite the mess! I'm especially curious to hear more about the cookie bottom- very clever, I never would've thought of that!

Teanna May 26, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Hahaha I think it goes perfectly for a Twilight party!!! The finished galette looks STUNNING! Who cares if it runs a bit!

Mindy May 27, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Laura--I'd love to know how yours turns out, especially with fresh berries!

Dragon--I'm working on it!

Jen--I'm sure you'll see it here when I finally "perfect" it. ;-)

Sarah--Thanks for the tips!

pinkstripes--It was pretty good, just a little mushy because of the excess juices.

Amy--I've used the crushed cookie bottom for a pear galette I made a while back. It worked great, but I just don't know what cookies will work well with berries...

Teanna--We watched Twilight today...should have saved the galette for the viewing! ;-)