Saturday, May 16, 2009

Pre-Made, Our Way Challenge: PopTarts

Last month, I stumbled upon Natalie's blog, Oven Love, and found that she had started a cooking challenge called Pre-Made, Our Way. I really liked the idea of trying to make things that we'd normally just buy in the store from scratch, and when she announced that this month's PMOW challenge was PopTarts, I almost jumped for joy. My husband loves PopTarts and hasn't had any since we moved to France last July. I asked him what his favorite flavor is, and it turned out to be the least simple--brown sugar cinnamon. This was not a version I could just slather with some store-bought jelly, and since I still wanted some fruit in it, I settled for making apple butter.

The process of making these was relatively easy--not as easy as unwrapping a pre-made tart and toasting it--but easy nonetheless. The most time-consuming part was rolling out the dough.

BUT the taste was sooooooo much better than a real PopTart. The crust was flaky and buttery (which was probably due to the fact that I used all butter and left out the shortening, which is hard to find in France), and the filling was yummy apple cinnamon goodness. Instead of using milk for the frosting, I used some of the leftover apple cider from the apple butter recipe--I loved the extra little bit of apple flavor on the outside. My husband, the PopTart conniseur, gave this two thumbs up and will be a little disappointed in the store-bought PopTarts from now on...

Go to Oven Love for the recipe...

Subscribe to free updates from Mindy's Mouthful

Maria May 16, 2009 at 11:04 AM

You did a great job! They look perfect!

anna May 16, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Oh yum! Apple cinnamon was always one of my favorite Pop Tart flavors when I was growing up, and apple butter is an awesome way to improve on that!

Chef E May 16, 2009 at 5:43 PM

What beautiful and perfect pop-tarts...I will take an order of brown sugar cinnamon please! Okay now I know what to do with my left over pears!

t,  May 16, 2009 at 8:26 PM

You're a better cook than me - I'd never attempt to make anything with dough. These look great though! Great job!

Donna-FFW May 17, 2009 at 6:58 AM

Hi Mindy- I have never been to yourblog before, stumbled here today and am glad I did. What a lovely blog you have. This recipe sounds terrific and I love the apple butter one as well.. Nice to meet you.

My Carolina Kitchen May 17, 2009 at 7:30 AM

What a great idea to make your own pop tarts. I have to admit I've never eaten one myself but now that I know that I can make them instead of buying them, I'm on board.
Sam

A World in a PAN May 17, 2009 at 12:22 PM

There are LOTS of things I do myslef (well ... as a matter of fact, most) so I'll check out that blog, Thak you. Your pop tarts look great.

Sippity Sup May 17, 2009 at 6:29 PM

That is a beautiful "Pop Tart", which I never really considered food before now. GREG

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com May 17, 2009 at 10:19 PM

These look great - At first, I thought they were actual pop tarts!

Lori May 17, 2009 at 10:44 PM

How cool! My husband loves pop tarts too! I never would have even considered making them myself, but you make it look so easy. This is great! I love the apple butter too!

Teri @ Make A Whisk May 21, 2009 at 10:54 AM

These look really good. And my husband LOVES apple butter, so I might have to try them with that exact flavor. Maybe this weekend.

Charli May 25, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Those look delicious...I love apple butter!! I agree that a flavored icing was the way to go. I did the icing for my pop tarts with pineapple juice, and that was great too!

watergirl May 30, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Hey! My kids will be so excited to try these. They always beg for them in the store but I only buy them every couple of months.Thanks!

Apron Appeal June 17, 2011 at 8:20 AM

These look better than just about every other pop tart I've seen on the web. These just made it to the top of my pop tart bookmarked list. Thanks for the foodbuzz friend req.

ghada September 5, 2017 at 7:49 AM

ghada September 5, 2017 at 7:49 AM

babel babel March 13, 2018 at 4:31 AM

Babel account & manag contracting companies
The program includes 12 specialized systems in contracting field and providing explanation library of 145 videos with total of 6 hours of explanation
and providing more than 200 questions in the field of contracting and group of essays which serve contracting companies
babelsoftco
برنامج ادارة شركات المقاولات
برنامج محاسبة شركات المقاولات
برنامج بابل للمقاولات
برنامج محاسبة مقاولات
المعالجه المحاسبية لضريبة القيمة المضافه

babel babel March 13, 2018 at 4:31 AM

Babel accounting and managing contracting companies Software is the first in the Middle East according to its spreading among contracting companies and clients in the Middle east and the world soon,,,,,,
I recommenda Babel Software