Sunday, May 10, 2009

Confetti Coleslaw--A Perfect Side for Grilling

Happy Mother's Day to all of you mothers out there!

Mother's Day is a day that I love to eat grilled food--my husband is a great griller, and it is usually warm enough out in Kentucky by now to spend the day outside. We don't have a grill in France, so we had to skip it this year, but if we did, I may have made a coleslaw to go with our yummy grilled meats.

I've been looking for a good vinegar-based coleslaw for a while now because my husband is not a fan of mayo-based salads. I found this recipe at Big, Bold, Beautiful Food, and thought it would be perfect for our family. I made a huge batch of it a couple of weeks ago to be used for two meals, but we all liked it so much that I had to make another batch after dinner for the next night's meal! (And since it's all veggies, I didn't have to feel guilty about it!) It's just so bright and crunchy, even after sitting overnight. I think that next time I might add some herbs like cilantro or parsley (depending on what I'm serving it with) to give it an extra punch.

Confetti Coleslaw
adapted from Big, Bold, Beautiful Food

1/4 green cabbage, shredded
1/4 red cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, slivered
3-4 green onions, sliced diagonally
1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
1 Granny Smith apple, matchsticked
roughly chopped leafy herbs of your choice (cilantro, parsley, etc.)

Dressing:
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup oil
1 tbs. dijon mustard
1 1/2 tbs. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Place all veggies in a large bowl. Mix dressing ingredients in a small bowl and pour over the veggies. Let sit for at least an hour for flavors to combine. (I let mine sit overnight and the veggies were still crunchy.)

Big, Bold, Beautiful Food also suggests the following, which I may try next time I make Mexican food: "Or if you want a Mexican-style dressing, replace the vinegar with lime juice, add a little paprika, cumin, and oregano, and throw in some matchsticked jicama and jalapeno to your other vegetables."

Chef E May 10, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Oh how I love coleslaw! Any kind, and yours looks great...

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com May 10, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Mindy, this looks great! I love making coleslaw when ever I grill... I'm not a lettuce fan, so coleslaw is a good alternative for me! :)

Ninette May 10, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Hey Mindy,

I'm so glad you tried the recipe. I love this coleslaw. I usually don't even let it marinate and serve it freshly dressed. Happy Mother's Day!

My Carolina Kitchen May 11, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Mindy, that's a great looking coleslaw. I favor slaws without mayo also but do use it from time to time. I really like this recipe. Thanks.
Sam

Sarah May 11, 2009 at 9:54 PM

I looks delicious and light, perfect for summer!

ghada September 5, 2017 at 8:35 AM